(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: pop up diverter on spout

Question pop up diverter on spout

When our tub plumbing was new about 7 years ago, the shower diverter would disengage and pop back up by itself when the water was turned off.
    For some time now, it needs to be pulled up by hand to make the water come out of the spout again.

From what I've been reading here, the standard procedure is to replace the entire spout, but these are Grohe Seabury satin nickel finish fixtures ($$$$) and pulling up the little knob sure seems like a real viable alternative to the expense and effort of replacing the entire spout.

Is there no maintenance that can be done to free up the diverter?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You might try soaking it in vinegar...that would disolve mineral deposits. Are there any user replaceable parts listed on the Grohe website? Not sure how that may come apart, if at all.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Grohe

Grohe parts are replaceable, although you probably have to get them from Grohe directly.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Grohe parts are replaceable, although you probably have to get them from Grohe directly.
    Would you suggest my trying to take what I have apart and trying to clean off whatever buildup I find, or isn't that likely to be successful?