Leaks in lead joints

Users who are viewing this thread

MN-E

Reaction score
Hey, folks... my apologies if this topic was addressed elsewhere; I searched & wasn't able to find anything.

The story: I'm adding a 2nd bathroom. I've cut into part of the existing C.I. stack and replaced with PVC to accomodate the new DWV... the main floor toilet is still C.I.
I set up a pressure-test & found that I'm leaking air at one of the hubs; appears that the lead joint isn't as tight as it should be. I tried tightening it up by tamping the lead joint down with a hammer and a small bolt, but no dice. I found the correct Fernco donut for the XH cast, so I'm planning on digging the lead/oakum out of this hub-joint and repairing it that way.

BUT... now I find myself looking at all of the other hubs on the remaining cast, and thinking that there's a heckuva lot of potential for more leaks sometime in the future.
Is there a way to seal existing lead joints without replacing them? Any kind of sealant that could be applied over the existing lead to stop smaller leaks?
There wasn't any problem with leaks prior to this, just when 5 lbs. of air pressure is applied.

(Realistically, I know that the most responsible thing for me to do would be to tear out all of the remaining CI and replace it all with plastic. And I might go that route, but I'm hoping there's a quick fix that might get me by for the time being... my wife's losing patience with the job!)

thanks in advance for any help with this!
E.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Sometimes the lead joint did not have the oakum packed in correctly, it is the oakum that makes the seal the lead is there to hold the oakum in place. I have ran across this when we use a reciprocating saw to cut the pipe, seems the vibration loosened up the joint, 9 times out of 10 I was able to use my caulking irons to tighten it back down.

MN-E

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Just had to hear it from a pro to know for sure, I guess.

thanks for the help, pal... much appreciated!

Garydaplummer

Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
Reaction score
Don't air test

Lead joints are not designed to be air tight they are designed to be water tight. Once the oakum gets water against it it will swell and seal the joint, the lead keeps it in place. Chances are your existing lead joint is just fine. the cast iron institute, spokespeople for the cast iron pipe industry, will tell you the same thing. Lead joint systems were tested with a 10 foot column of water, not compressed air.

MN-E

Reaction score
Lead joints were not supposed to be sealed with a hammer and a bolt. A proper set of caulking irons should do the job.

yeah... no argument here. I've made a lot of dumb, rookie-mistakes through this process, and skimping on the proper tools is no exception.
I'm learning, though! (...i hope...)

MN-E

Reaction score
Lead joints are not designed to be air tight they are designed to be water tight. Once the oakum gets water against it it will swell and seal the joint, the lead keeps it in place. Chances are your existing lead joint is just fine.
Wow, I hadn't even thought of that.
The joint in question is a vent... so there's never been any water through it, so the oakum hasn't had a chance to expand.

But, according to my inspector, I have to run 5 lbs. of air on the whole DWV system to get a pass. I want to follow the rules & do the job right, but... well, this isn't the first "questionable" thing I've heard from the city.

At any rate, I'd guess that replacing the joint will take less time & effort than arguing with the city.

Thanks again for all of the replies, folks! Can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ask if you can use a standing water column leak test instead. If he's young, he may not understand the subtle differences in the systems.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
test

I could regale you with the process we went through, many years ago, to reactivate a water main system installed before the Great Depression, and then abandoned until the 50's. The city required a pressure test before they would certify it, but after all those years there was no way the leak/oakum joints were going to be "air tight". We went through many gyrations, and a couple of comedy of errors, before they were satisfied.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks