How quiet is a Rinnai tankless, *really*?

Users who are viewing this thread

dimprov

Reaction score
I'm considering the purchase of multiple Rinnai tankless hot water heaters for a remodelling project where maintaining quiet is one of the design objectives. Rinnai claims its tankless units are quiet, and claims a noise level of 49 db(a) across its range of tankless models--see attached. However, when I look at the Bosch noise level data, it claims a range of 45 to 65 db(a). i.e. a 100x difference in possible sound pressure levels, depending on...? I have no direct experience with either brand, but I suspect the Bosch numbers are more "honest" for common sense reasons: it makes sense that the direct-vent blower on the tankless would make less noise when it is consuming its minimum 19,900 BTU's than when it is burning it's maximum 199,000 BTU's. I therefore suspect that Rinnai's 49 db(a) noise rating is marketing spin and reflects the noise level at the lowest end of its range.

FWIW, I did contact the local distributor for Rinnai, and he was useless.

I've come here to get the facts from anyone with actual experience or knowledge of Rinnai units. I can design the soundproofing plan accordingly if I know what I'm dealing with. I can't be shooting in the dark only to find out my assumption is off by 100x because of sleazy advertising!

David

Attachments

• rinnai.jpg
    rinnai.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 5,156
  • bosch.jpg
    bosch.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 4,730
Last edited:

dimprov

Reaction score
For instance, Eternal gives the "maximum noise" for it's different models, although it's ambiguous as to whether Eternal's db refers to db(a) or some other reference.

Ideally, I'd like to see the SPL's at different frequencies so I could pick the most appropriate soundproofing materials, but I'm not too hopeful of finding that information, unless someone here has done their own measurements at a 1 meter distance that they're willing to post.

David

Attachments

• eternal.jpg
    eternal.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 5,348

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
I have an R85i in my basement. Send me a decibel meter and I'll measure it for you :D. I will, however, say that it's pretty quiet. HTH

dimprov

Reaction score
BimmerRacer,

Does its loudness vary depending upon demand (i.e. maximal versus minimal water heating, such as all taps open versus a single faucet)?

David

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Just did the test with three sinks going. Yes, it does get louder. How loud? Well, standing right next to it with all three going, it was overpowered by the sound of water hitting the base of plastic utility sink about 10' away. It is also MUCH more quiet than my new Bryant Evolution heat pump and I think that one is rated at 85dB or somewhere near there. Also, do realize that there are different ways to measure sound and it's likely that Bosch, Rinnai, Bryant and everyone else in the world do not follow the same standard. It is sort of like comparing treadwear ratings between Michelin and Bridgestone and purchasing a Michelin because it has a higher treadwear rating and therefore should last longer. Not quite that simple as it turns out ;)

YMMV

dimprov

Reaction score
Thanks for running the test, YMMV. It proves that loudness varies with demand, and therefore a single number of 49 db(a) can't be right.

I think I'll assume 49 db(a) is the low end. If the newer Rinnai units manifold the way the older Rinnai units did, then by running 3 Rinnai tankless units in a manifold I can push the aggregate noise toward the lower end of the scale than if I were to use fewer, higher capacity, units.

David

dimprov

Reaction score
The Navien rep told me, and this is a direct quote:
"The decibel rating of our units range from 25-30. It is much quieter than our competition. You will not hear our burner or fan unless you have your ear up to the unit."

If true, then they've won my heart and I'm buying Navien as soon as I can verify their claim.

David

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The Navien rep told me, and this is a direct quote:
"The decibel rating of our units range from 25-30. It is much quieter than our competition. You will not hear our burner or fan unless you have your ear up to the unit."

If true, then they've wont my heart and I'm buying Navien as soon as I can verify their claim.

David

I posted about the Naviens a few times, for having a good warranty, a real stainless steal combustion chamber not a copper one surrounded by stainless steal. Also the fact they have models with a built in recirculation pump with a buffer tank. The Recirculation pump can either recirculate the water internally or with a return loop if your home is provided with one. One thing to note is if you use the recirculation pump you need the remote control so you can program when the recirculation pump runs.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
"One thing to note is if you use the recirculation pump you need the remote control so you can program when the recirculation pump runs"

Not true, depending on DIP switch setting, the unit will recirc on inlet thermistor at the buffer tank. (Internal or External)

Connecting the stat/control and provided free with the heater, the control can be programmed to disable the pump, thus stop recirc and heating.

jdf405

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
My Rinnai 94LSe that I just installed is amazingly quiet. Its barely audible from 10 feet away and standing right next to it it is still very quiet. Its about 7 feet from a bedroom window and I don't think it will ever cause a sleeping problem.

gatorays

Reaction score
rinnai 94

My Rinnai 94LSe that I just installed is amazingly quiet. Its barely audible from 10 feet away and standing right next to it it is still very quiet. Its about 7 feet from a bedroom window and I don't think it will ever cause a sleeping problem.

I just moved into my house with a 94. I previously had a rinnai and it was very quiet (mounted outside master BR - could not hear it). Now, the one I have in my attic "honks" everytime I turn the hot water off (quiet loud). It is quiet while running, but the honking is driving me crazy. One plumber said it was normal, but did not believe him. If they all made this sound, they would not sell very many. They are still working on it. Any ideas?

MikeWally

Reaction score
Well I either have (a) sensitive ears, (b) a defective decibel meter, or c) a bad install because I can tell you I think my Rinnai is mighty noisy. New professional installation of a RL94i, with both the local Rinnai rep and plumber saying "this is how they all sound." They laughed when I said it's way louder than the posted spec of 49 decibels -- as if I couldn't possibly expect that to be true. I'm not ready to throw in the towel, but will likely do so after turning over a few more stones. Youtube link with a short clip of it in action follows:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
That kind of resonance is rare for a tankless. Can't tell for sure what it is without a site visit, but call back the installer- Rinnai won't be able to diagnose it over the phone.

If the installer and rep claim they all sound that way, get a dbA meter and measure it, point to the spec, and tell them you won't be satisfied until it meets spec.

MikeWally

Reaction score
That kind of resonance is rare for a tankless. Can't tell for sure what it is without a site visit, but call back the installer- Rinnai won't be able to diagnose it over the phone.

If the installer and rep claim they all sound that way, get a dbA meter and measure it, point to the spec, and tell them you won't be satisfied until it meets spec.
Thanks for the feedback, Dana. The Rinnai is connected to the propane tank via a 40 foot run of 3/4" Tracpipe C.S.S.T. , which transitions into the Rinnai through a short run of black iron you see in video. I understand Tracpipe is known to sometimes cause whistling, which according to one training manual, can be addressed by using larger diameter pipe. I also understand, but have not yet been able to confirm, that Tracpipe offers some kind of pipe insert to address certain noise issues. The installer never tested my gas pressure, which might be somewhere around 9.5 to 10" W.C. based on the tank company's setting of the second stage regulator and my calculation of estimated pressure drop from the Tracpipe installation manual. I've asked the installer to test the pressure and talk to his Tracpipe rep, but I can tell he thinks it's all a big waste of his time.

Hiren

Reaction score
I have installed RUC98IN back in Nov 2017. Not even notice its running while standing withing 5 to 10 ft distance. Little humming noise like gaming PC fan noise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks