Basement washing machine drain in top of sump?

Users who are viewing this thread

ncsu

Reaction score
All - I would like to move my washing machine to another part of my basement where there is no connection to an under slab pipe running to the sump. Currently my washing machine drains into a utility sink that is connected to an underground pipe to the sump, which then pushes this to the sewer line about 5ft off the slab floor. I was planning on removing my utility sink and capping off the top of the under slab pipe. Its not in a good location.

I will be installing 2x4 walls along the basement walls and would like to drain the washing machine into a standpipe/trap configuration that then runs along my 2x4 wall and discharges into the sump system from the top of it. Is this typically ok to do?

Thanks for any help-advice....

Kevin

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That would depend completely on the local codes.

Most places no longer allow a sump pump to be connected to the sewer system as it causes the treatment plant to be deluged with groundwater. Sump pumps are for pumping groundwater away from the homes foundation. There is a basin/pump system available for laundry discharge which is similar to what is available for sewage. The local municipality building dept. would be the place to ask what is required.

ncsu

Reaction score
thanks...I forgot to explain something...i have two sumps (I call them sumps :))
one for ground drain water, the other pump the sink and washing machine and, basement drain to the sewer line. I'd just like to move my washing machine to a location where there is no underground pipe running to the "sewer sump". Instead I'd like to drain to the sump via the 2x4 wall route and turn drain downward through the top cover of the sewer sump, keeping all sealed and removeable for future maintenance.
Any idea if this would be ok...I called the local inspection guy today and he just kept bringing up points that had nothing to do with my question.
Thanks.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
If the ejector pit is sealed, there should be two pipes leaving the lid, First pipe is the pump discharge, the second is the vent, some codes will allow you to cut a tee into the vent pipe to drain a utility sink.

Robert K. Tompsett

Reaction score
Washer to sump to street

In Van Buren County, Michigan - My house was built in the early 60's, typical 3 bd rm. ranch. The sump pit is in the dry basement. The washer drains into sump pit via the laundry tub. The pump lifts the washer's gray water up 7' into the village sewer - not the storm drain - the house connection was at one time 20 years ago hooked to the old septic tank system. Never has there been any question as to my washer hook up.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The problem is not the washer drainage going to sewer, it is groundwater from a sump pump going to the sewer. Groundwater from a foundation drain system does not require treatment, and thus should not be pumped to a sewer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks