Indirect Water Heater Not Calling for Heat

Users who are viewing this thread

robertr4836

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an indirect fired water heater. A few weeks ago we ran out of hot water which had never happened before.

I checked and even though the tank needed hot water the boiler was not firing. I reset the boiler and everything seemed to be fine.

Yesterday we ran out of hot water again and the same thing had happened, the water heater was not calling for heat from the boiler. I reset the boiler again and it seems to be working but I want to get this taken care of.

I figure it's the Honeywell controler that's the problem but I am very new to owning a house (had a condo before and I never had to deal with these things). Do I call an electrician, a plumber or the boiler service techs?

Thanks for any response.

Robert

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The sensor that tells the boiler to turn on may be bad or possibly the leads came loose either by getting knocked or just multiple heating/cooling cycles if they weren't tightened down properly.

On most, you can test the sensor with a multimeter on ohms scale. The specs will say what the resistance across the sensor should be at any temperature. The resistance changes as the temperature changes. If the sensor is working, then the control in the boiler may be shot. If the sensor is not working, replacement is normally easy.

A good HVAC boiler guy should be able to diagnose this, but you may want to try yourself. Don't do resistance checks with power on, and you really need to actually disconnect the leads to get an accurate reading.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
In these neck of the woods you're better off with a plumber. I should know, I work with him 4 days out of the week. There's a thread just started that could probably go have plumber vs. tinner for boilers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks