(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Ultra Low NOx?

Hybrid View

Default Ultra Low NOx?

Hello!
    I get to pick out a new water heater! In looking at the various Rheem models, I see that there are some listed as "Ultra Low NOx", but I can't seem to find any information on what exactly that means? Do these water heaters have a cleaner combustion process?

Any suggestions for a new water heater?
    Thanks!

Eco-Defender Safety SystemŪ Ultra Low NOx Series water heaters from Bradford White utilize the latest advances in technology and materials for an ecologically friendly line of water heaters. Each and every one meets the stringent South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) requirements for allowable NOx emissions while maintaining the incredibly high level of safety, performance and reliability that you've come to expect from a Bradford White water heater.
    • 13 Models (30-50 gallon capacities)
    • 30,000-50,000 BTU/Hr.
    • FVIR Eco-Defender Safety SystemŪ
    • U4 models qualify for most utility rebate programs as well as the January 1st, 2009 ENERGY STARŪ EF requirement
    http://www.bradfordwhite.com/product...product_id=126
    Last edited by Terry; 02-21-2009 at 10:54 PM.

NOx is shorthand for nitrogen oxides, a component of air pollution. Some areas of the country restrict the amount of nitrogen oxides from all appliances using fossil fuel and these areas require low NOx or ultra low NOx certified burners.

If you live in an area that requires low or ultra low NOx devices then you have no choice but to purchase and install the required appliance. Your local permitting office will have the details.

Default Do they work well?

Thanks for the explanation!

Do they work well and should I consider it, even if it's not required? Are they any more energy efficient?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to those questions. I know there are charts available on the Internet listing various manufacturers products and their government-assigned efficiency ratings but off hand I don't remember just where those charts are located.

Whether or not you "should" buy a low NOx model even if not required is a matter for your own conscience.

Ultra Low nox models, which by the way cost at least 50% more than regular, were mandated effective Jan 1, 2008, in the South Coast Air Quality (SCAQMD) management district of southern California ( LA, Orange, Riverside, and urban San Bernardino Counties.). They were mandated effective Jan. 1, 2009, in the Bay Area Air Quality Management District ( BAAQMD), San Francisco, Oakland, Alameda, Sonoma, and I think a few other Counties.

In the affected areas, they are the only models stocked and legally available for sale. OUTSIDE the affected areas, you probably will not find them stocked. You could probably order one, but the cost is high.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking thats probably a very good brand

if it is made by Bradford White it is probably a good brand...

Unlike American-Whirlpool water heaters who use
    their customers like gueniee pigs to test out their products on .....

Bradford White do all their test trials in their factory labs
    and are %100 % sure it is not going to be a problem once it is in the field..

but if you dont need it where you live ,
    I would not buy it, cause parts might be a tad bit hard to get

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Quote Originally Posted by Furd View Post
    Whether or not you "should" buy a low NOx model even if not required is a matter for your own conscience.
    That statement is pretty deep. I had to re-read to fully grasp the context. To pollute or not pollute, that is the question...

Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    That statement is pretty deep. I had to re-read to fully grasp the context. To pollute or not pollute, that is the question...

It is really not so deep. An ultra low nox unit will not be stocked anywhere that it is not mandated. POSSIBLY you could order one, but you could take cold showers too, and not use any gas. You can be the next Ed Begley. Write a book.