Venting a wall mount toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim W

Reaction score
I need to vent a Vitra wall-mount toilet. It is a concealed tank model which uses a 3" 90Ell that came with the toilet (includes intregal seal ring) This 90 can be rotated left, right or straight down. I am mounting the toilet in an 8" wall to make sure its good and strong snd that I have plenty of room for everything.

I would like to vent to the left, and drain to the right (when looking at the mounted toilet)

There are no venting instructions that came with it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jim W

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

There are no venting instructions because they assume the plumber would know how to vent it. Your description is too brief for us to make a suggestion. "draining to the right and venting to the left" does not tell us anything that we have to know. If it were I, without seeing it of course, I might drain on a 45 down to the right and vent on a 45 up to the left.

Jim W

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the situation. The 3" vent (drawn) to the right will continue thru the roof. This will be the vent from the downstairs bath.
The wall mounted toilet needs to drain down thru the 2X8 sill, turn, left under the floor, then right, then out through the rim-joist to tie into the existing drain.

Attachments

• WALL MNT_DET.JPG
    WALL MNT_DET.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 3,827

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

According to the height of the opening, that elbow must be part of the toilet's siphonic action. If so it must point downward. I would put a "Y" under it, in one of its two possible orientations, and then run the vent in a 45 up to the right.

Jim W

Reaction score
Thanks HJ,
The toilet is higher than standard. The white line is obviously the incoming stream for the flush, the black elbow is the discharge. The elbow quite long and I can cut it shorter, glue in the 45 wye and then vent up from there.

Is this correct?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
elbow

The toilet is NOT going to be as high as the outlet, so therefore it MUST be the trap's outlet. IF, so it must terminate BELOW the water level in the toilet bowl to give a proper flush. Does the manufacturer specify you can cut it off and if so is there a limitation. I would NOT cut it. Just connect to it the way you have it setting there.