4" Cast Iron Pipe: Unplug Sections

Users who are viewing this thread

Xroad

Reaction score
How difficult is it to separate one section of 4" cast iron from another section. Is the oakum & lead stuff really tight? If I can unplug, then I do not have to cut the cast iron. I found flexible rubber pipe coupling that fits the 4" PVC on one end and the other end fits the "socket" female end (where the lead and oakum goes) of the cast iron pipe. No cutting.

-xroad

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Slim to none...you can't pull a properly done lead/oakum joint apart.

Xroad

Reaction score
Ooh-Kaay .... Thanks .... That idea got shot down. Back to diamond disk.

TheZster

Reaction score
Done both ways

Rented the snap cutter - and it worked great where I had the space to use it...... Used the Sawzall in tight spots... Actually got a cleaner cut with the Sawzall......

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cut

quote; Actually got a cleaner cut with the Sawzall

That is to be expected, but since cast iron does not need a "cleaner" cut, the snapper works better and faster.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
This is the best snap cutter I ever owned. I like the fact I can take of the orange handle to make it fit in tight places.

226_Soil_Pipe_Cutter_3C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Xroad

Reaction score
I am exploring various options. Cutting disk, sawz-all, remove lead/oakum, snap cutter ....

Spoke with a plumber. He said depends on the workanship of the lead/oakum. Sometime it can be a bitch to get it out, sometimes easy. Snap cutter is risky. The section of cast iron pipe I need to remove is already cracked. Probably bad casting from 100 years ago. Not much left at the "good" portion of the pipe. Cannot risk the pipe collapsing under the snap cutter. So, going with the diamond disk and sawz-all.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
That tools is "da bomb" ratz! Me likey likey! lol

The diamond "discs" won't go on a sawzall. You need the diamond blade made for cutting CI.

Xroad

Reaction score
That tools is "da bomb" ratz! Me likey likey! lol

The diamond "discs" won't go on a sawzall. You need the diamond blade made for cutting CI.

I have diamond cutting disk, for my grinder. Also carbide disk as well. Dimond blad for the sawz-all ready. I'll be testing all on a scrap cast iron elbow first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks