Water pipe repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeFromHC

Reaction score
In removing some concrete yesterday we found the water pipes to the rear of the house I was curious about. They were on the surface of the ground immediately under the concrete and on top of the sewer line I was after.
The diamond blade determined which was the hot water side...
Lucky it was on a shutoff that didn't bother the rest of the house
Whats the best way to repair a nice clean slice that maybe goes 1/5 th of the way into the one inch pipe?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Assuming copper pipe, you just cut out a section then prepare all 4 ends of the pipes for soldering. Flux the ends of both pipes, slip couplers with no stops completely on the pipes, apply flux on the each ends of the patch piece, slide the couplers into place over both pipes so that the center is approximately over the cut, and solder. I have some concerns about pipe being in that location, but that's another story.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Iron pipe is a horse of a different color altogether...not sure what's legal and will work underground with iron pipe. Surprised it hasn't rusted and given you other problems. Might be time to replace the line.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks. It's iron pipe.
Are you sure they are not hot water heating pipes for a radiator?

Whats the best way to repair a nice clean slice that maybe goes 1/5 th of the way into the one inch pipe?

They used to make "Dresser couplings" years ago. I haven't seen or needed these in years, so I don't know if they are still available. You can ask your local plumbing supplier.
The are a heavy duty corporation coupling (for lack of a better description) for iron pipe.Of course you will have to finish the cut all the way through and hopefully the pipe will have some play side to side in order to slip the coupling on. Its basically fastened like a compression coupling for iron pipe with rubber sleeves behind the large compression nuts. It will come 1/2" up to 2"

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
A stainless steel wrap around repair clamp will do the job, although it might need a wider rubber gasket depending on the size of the cut.

What HJ is talking about is something like this.

repair-clamp-sewerratz-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks