4" Rubber Boots to Connect Cast Iron to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Xroad

Reaction score
Wow, I don't remember 4" rubber boots to be so expensive. I need to splice in a section of PVC to a cast iron sewer pipe. Home Depot, Lowes, ... Pretty pricey.

Can I do better buying mail order?
Where? Any recommendation?

-xroad

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are two types of connectors. One is used only for buried work and the other can be for either above ground or below. Both of these come with models that will match the different pipe materials such as PVC to CI, PVC to PVC, etc.. The underground type is just a neoprene sleeve with a stainless steel clamp on each end. These are often called, "Ferncos", but that is a brand name. The other type is called a banded coupler or no-hub. These also have a sleeve, but the band covers the entire sleeve. These offer a ridged joint when not supported by earth. Use the type that is designed for your application. I have not idea of the cost, but that is not important if you have to make this transition. Would you save by ordering on-line or by mail. I seriously doubt it. Even the the unit price was considerably less, the shipping charge would eat that up and more. Also, if you deal locally and the coupler isn't the right one, you can take it back and get a different one. Exchange with an on-line seller will usually cost a restocking fee, you will have to pay return shipping as well as the shipping for the new part. Not too good of an idea.

Xroad

Reaction score
Thanks. I am not sure what I WAS looking at before. I went back to Lowes and found the rubber sleeve with two SS bands, one at each end. About $6.50 each. I guess I am no longer concern with cost. I must have been looking at a wrong price tag or something. I'll have the pipes at both ends supported so I would not have to worry about no support.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Won't meet code...an inspector will reject it. They ususally have both, but the correct one is smaller, you might have missed it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even if you live in Canada where the neoprene sleeve might be legal in an above ground application, the logic of US code is pretty sound. The band coupler will make a superior connection. I would consider the relatively small additional cost to be money well spent. If you just use the sleeve and then some cold winter evening you find sewage spewing from that failed connection, you might belatedly agree.

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
Down south the fernco(rubber coupling w/2 SS clamps) is legal above and below ground, if you use a no-hub band(SS solid band w/SS clamps) you must use a PVC to No-Hub coupling with the no-hub band.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fernco

Down south the fernco(rubber coupling w/2 SS clamps) is legal above and below ground,

How far South? I am "south" and they are not approved here ANYWHERE inside the house, either above ground or underneath. They are only approved for outdoor underground installations

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Down south the fernco(rubber coupling w/2 SS clamps) is legal above and below ground,

How far South? I am "south" and they are not approved here ANYWHERE inside the house, either above ground or underneath. They are only approved for outdoor underground installations

Here in Illinois they are not approved for underground, They want all rubber repair couplings to be shielded above ground as well as below ground.

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website

I know they are legal in the entire state of Florida.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I know they are legal in the entire state of Florida.

How can you make the claim entire state of Florida? It may meet the state's code, but a municipal can make their code stricter. For example Illinois code allows the water service to be buried only 36 inches deep, but up north Chicago and the other cities, townships and counties all say it has to be at least 60 inches deep.

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
How can you make the claim entire state of Florida? It may meet the state's code, but a municipal can make their code stricter. For example Illinois code allows the water service to be buried only 36 inches deep, but up north Chicago and the other cities, townships and counties all say it has to be at least 60 inches deep.

I say that because everywhere I have worked has allowed them. We have done jobs from Pensacola to Jacksonville and south to Miami and everywhere in between for the last 19 years.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
. If you just use the sleeve and then some cold winter evening you find sewage spewing from that failed connection, you might belatedly agree.
If this connection sees any cold winter evening , then the owner has bigger issues than, a so called , failed connection.This connection will be the least of his/her worries.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks