Water-holding depression in Americast tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Cynic

Reaction score
I have an American Standard Americast bathtub that I purchased several years ago at Lowe’s when I was remodeling a kitchen and bathroom at my house, and that I finally had installed in another bathroom during a remodeling project last summer.

I noticed after the tub was installed that the tub floor had a section that looked irregular. After a couple months of bathtub use, the irregular-appearing area developed into a significant depression that holds water.

Has anyone here encountered this problem?

Is anyone here aware of any recalls on Americast bathtubs?

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Was it supported underneath? Did they use expanding foam? Many tubs need support underneath, usually a bed of mortar. Some have styrofoam from the factory. The problem with expanding foam is in the name: it expands. Sometimes it does it so much that it warps the bottom of the tub.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

The way an Americast tub is made, should preclude something like that from happening. Therefore, if your description is valid, you should contact American Standard. HOWEVER, any warranty would only replace the bathtub, YOU would have to pay for it to be removed and the new one installed.

lydiac

Reaction score
I have the same exact problem with the same tub. Did you ever resolve this? I've just sent an email to American Standard. I hate to change the tub since the tile and shower doors are in perfect condition.

ss730hp

Reaction score
Everyone needs top start a class action suit against americast, I am a Master Plumber and many people have this problem and these tubs are still being sold on the market. I also installed americast tub in my house and have the same problem, if american stardard thinks they are going to just over a tub, they have another thing coming.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Was it supported underneath? Did they use expanding foam? Many tubs need support underneath, usually a bed of mortar. Some have styrofoam from the factory. The problem with expanding foam is in the name: it expands. Sometimes it does it so much that it warps the bottom of the tub.

The install instructions for the Americast specifically prohibit mortar bed of foam underneath. Not needed, and it causes problems.

Actually, they used to have a sticker on them saying that, and I think it does not anymore. The directions do state that there is an integral base which should sit on the floor.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks