Pressure Tank Location

Users who are viewing this thread

2bigspazzz

Reaction score
I have two submersibles that merge into the same line, and then elevate 80 feet or so, crossing a field or two along the way, before reaching my pressure tank and switch. I'm having trouble with water hammer, and maybe over-pressurization of the lines in lower sections, as there have been a few lines blowing off. One pressure switch controls both pumps and the cut in pressure is 30 psi and cut out is 50.

My question is this: Is it better to have the pressure tank and pressure switch near the top of the system or as close to the pump as possible?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The main cause of water hammer is the sudden stopping of water that usually is moving too fast. These two pumps coming on and then the water form each hits the other flow at the tee, may be causing water hammer and water hammer usually quadruples line pressure. That is probably what is causing the blown lines; maybe at that tee or back toward the pumps is it?

IMO the tank and switch belongs at the house, Valveman or Speedbump would know better than me, to control two pumps with one switch, one is probably starting just a bit sooner than the other due to the cables being different lengths. So maybe a spring loaded type of arrestor or two where the lines are blowing might help. I wouldn't use the air over water type.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The switch should be with the tanks. The tanks absorb the hammer so the switch doesn't see it. When a switch is installed away from the tanks, it tends to hammer on and off with the water hammer turning on and off the pumps rapidly which only makes the situation worse and in the same breath tries to destroy the motors.

bob...

2bigspazzz

Reaction score
I will certainly keep the pressure switch with the tank. However, I am now considering getting rid of the pressure switch all together, and using the level sensors in the holding tank instead. Since my last post one of the wells stopped delivering altogether, and now water is coming out of the top of the well! I think I have to pull the pump now..... aarrgh!!!!!! With any luck the pitless is ok.....

Thanks for the tips everyone, but I think I'm in deeper than I had thought:confused:

2bigspazzz

Reaction score
Having just read the article on multiple check valves, I have a sneaky suspicion that one of the many check valves in my system is causing me all of this grief. Unfortunately all of the valves are necessary due to the nsture of the system... That would be a real easy fix

This forum is really helpful and informative. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks