Outdoor Conduit Conductors

Users who are viewing this thread

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm fixing to do a panel swap (will be permitted and inspected to 2005 NEC with 2008 provisions, i.e. AFCI) from an old Federal Pacific fuse panel to a Square D breaker box. House is currently BX and some MC from new installs. NM is not allowed per city ordinance.

The reason for the swap is the previous homeowner's handywork and simple age. The panel is a mess and the disconnect for the AC is wired directly to the service entrance lugs. I'd like to do the new run to the AC condenser with THWN in schedule 80 PVC. However, I've also seen XHHN mentioned for use. Is one more appropriate than the other?

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Do you mean XHHW instead of XHHN?

The THWN has a thinner jacket is for wet locations which the 2008 clarifies inside pipe outside as a wet location.

Dont see a XHHN listing in the NEC

There is a listing for XHHW which is also listed for wet locations however the outer jacket is thicker than THWN.

THWN is most likely easier to pull and handle both good conductors for your purpose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks