Basement plumbing vent and drain question.

Users who are viewing this thread

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have come upon this site many times over the past few months for the wealth of knowledge here...now, I am in the midst of plumbing a bathroom for my basement, and am going in circles when it comes to the vents and drains. So, I will thank you in advance for any knowledge you can pass on.

First, the layout. It is a small bathroom that will have a sink, toilet and tub/shower....In that order as you enter the bathroom. All of these will dump into an ejector pit.

My plans are as follows (I will also provide a picture):

I was planning to use a 2" drain and vent at the sink, that will go into the floor (concrete) and join into the toilet line which will be 3". This will continue on until it picks up the shower/tub drain/vent also 2". Now I would really like to use 1 1/2" drains and vents for both the tub and the sink, but I think I read somewhere if you go into concrete it should be 2"??? 1 1/2" would be better, just because I have a 2x4 wall....I did not think ahead for a wet wall...I have some pictures here of generally what I am looking at:

http://adeptivemedia.com/misc/plumbing/

The first one probably shows the most (with the writing on it).

Before I go too far...

1.Can I get away with using only two vents to vent everything? The total run from the sink to ejector pit will be about 6 feet, with the toilet in the middle?

2. Can the toilet drain be in the middle like I have it?

If I can get away with two vents, can they be 1 1/2" or must they be 2"?

In the picture with the writing, there is a blue line in the back where the tub and shower is. I was hoping I could somehow get a vent to go under the wall where it is already dug up, then up the back of the wall...That way when I run my water I will have fewer obstacles. Is there anyway this could be possible?

I will most likely have more questions, but for now I will leave it there, to make sure I am even in the ball park.

TIA...Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

1.Can I get away with using only two vents to vent everything? The total run from the sink to ejector pit will be about 6 feet, with the toilet in the middle?
The number of vents depends on how and where the various fixtures are located, and has nothing to do with how far they are from the pipe or where the toilet is located.

2. Can the toilet drain be in the middle like I have it?
You can put it anywhere you want to as long as the drain and vents are proper.

If I can get away with two vents, can they be 1 1/2" or must they be 2"?
THAT depends on your building department. Various codes and locatlities have different requirements. It should be indicated on your approved drawing and permit, what sizes and where the vents are required.

Last edited by a moderator:

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
The number of vents depends on how and where the various fixtures are located, and has nothing to do with how far they are from the pipe or where the toilet is located.

Thanks for the quick reply. If I plan for a layout like this, will it be ok?

NOTE: The blue line in the back of the picture is where I would like to put the vent (less demolition). If I have to move in front of the wall I can, but regardless, I was planning on having one vent at the sink, and one at the tub, with the toilet in the middle.

vent.jpg

TIA...Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

The vents are okay WHERE you show them. HOW you install them would determine whether they are proper or not. I am somewhat confused by your picture. How will you get the tub vent into the wall when the drain fitting is already past the wall. And the tub drain trap will have to be AT, or UNDER the side wall, not out in the middle where you show it, unless it is going to be a shower and not a bathtub. But it looks like it would be in the wrong location for that purpose also.

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
HJ,

Thanks yes, I know about the trap for the tub and the like. I have not finished all my digging. I was just trying to get a first pass review of my plan. If my general vent location was totally wrong, I just wanted to know before I did the demo. I will be working on this this weekend, and hopefully have a clearer picture of the final result.

Thanks again...Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks