(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Great Ideas For a Rental With Costant Clogged Drain

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If the tenant has a problem with grease, they should should be using something like Bio-Clean

http://terrylove.biz/home/75-bio-cle...n-cleaner.html

Within an hour after pouring the bacteria into the drain, the bacteria begin to eat their way into the waste that has accumulated on the sides and top of the drain pipe. This is their natural food. They digest the waste and spread throughout your system, cleaning it completely.

It sure beats snaking the line every month.

And like Joy mentioned above, grease does not belong in the drain.
    I pour my grease in a can and let it cool, then it's in the trash, not the drain.

Last edited by Terry; 01-14-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Default Oi It Gets Even Nastier

I swear the stuff that goes down there must be possesed. I try the water bladder thing again today after a few days of letting the draino liquid do its thing. Today I put it in andof course it is full of water since she had dumped more in . When I took the pressure off after a failed attempt you should see the crud that blew out. It looked like cheese curd but had the consistancy of very old slimy window caulking and not just a little either. Simply amazing. Any idea what that new cullinary delight might be????? Mabe I don't want to know. Mr rooter might just get me yet.

Yes...all the stuff you are describing is chunks of greese...this person does not sound stable to me if every thing is covered with greese and while you are attempting to fix the problem they are pouring more greese in...

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking make them pay for the cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Yes...all the stuff you are describing is chunks of greese...this person does not sound stable to me if every thing is covered with greese and while you are attempting to fix the problem they are pouring more greese in...
    you have someone that is either not stable, or they are trying to bust your chops for fun and sport.

I know all about that...

they are pouring tons of grease down the kitchen drain
    and it might be wise to either kick them out , make them pay for the drain cleaning

or install
    a much much larger trap under the sink......

make a large trap out of pvc elbows that can be
    taken out with no hub clamps holding it in place

then take it out and show them what is stuck in the trap...

almost nothing will not get by the deep grease trap..

also, if they have a garage disposal, take it out
    usually that is used only to grind up beer tabs anyway

I hope your fire insurance is up to date. Nothing worse than a grease fire and for sure, this person's health is suffering from all that grease. You might want to leave her one of those huge coffee cans and tell her to drain her grease into that and when full throw it out. It might be cheaper for you to drink more coffee to keep her supplied in empty coffee cans.

Default I Blasted It Out, At Least For Now

I finally found the right connector to plug that bladder into the output side of my electric pressure washer. That sent things on their way in fine style. Only one side effect though, it blew some nice chunky grey water up out of the bathroom sink and up into the bath tub. At least those cleaned out easily enough. I have some bioguard coming as well for down the road. I will keep the hose and adapter handy though because, well you know........

You could do like a customer I once snaked a drain for...she was told not to pour grease down the drain so she placed a 5 Gal. bucket under the sink and would just pour it in there...when I came to snake the drain the bucket was within 1/2" of being full and as rancid as could possibly be...very nasty...

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Quote Originally Posted by drizler View Post
    Only one side effect though, it blew some nice chunky grey water up out of the bathroom sink and up into the bath tub.
    From now on have yout tenant positioned next to that sink and tell them, "Let me know if you hear anything, put your ear down near the faucet."

Default I like that last idea

You guys are bad, really. I really like the listen to the drain idea, PRICELESS. Arent tenants a hoot. Now all I need to do is convince her to get rid of about a box truck ( literally) of assorted STUFF, (that reads junk to the rest of us) and the place won't be a fire trap. It just goes on and on doesn't it. Best of all my own kitchen faucet slowly dying from hard water over the last year had to give up the ghost right while I was over there yesterday so today's mission is you know what??????? At least this time under the sink I won't be laying in cottage cheese looking grease globs with a nasty litter box and some suspicious looking yellow puddles near by.
    BTW for anyone else desperate enough to go the pressure washer route that strange fitting came from a TRUE VALUE hardware store. It came from the plumbing section and the easy " smart " way to get one sized up is take it right in with you. If you decide to use one have someone holding the drains shut downwind and cross your fingers. Thanks for the help guys and if you want a tenant you can have mine. She comes complete with "EVERYTHING"

If you use Bio Clean regularly (in this situation you'd need to apply it yourself since your tenant probably wouldn't follow the instructions) you may find that life improves greatly for you. Once the stuff propagates your pipes it should really clean things up and make it more difficult for new collections of grease to build up. You do need to follow the directions carefully - not use too hot of water (kills the bacteria), apply the stuff at night so it has a chance to work without being flushed away, use enough of it, do it daily for a while then weekly or monthly, etc. - but in the long run you will be pleasantly surprised by how well it works.