Sloping new drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I'm building a bathroom on the first floor for my mother. Since this is at the far side of the house I have to run a 3" line over to the nearest vertical stack which is 23' away.

My problem is that for the first 7ft I must stay below a height of 55" and for the remaining 16ft I must be below a height of 36"
The tie in to the vertical stack is at a height of about 24"

By my calculations using a min 1/4" per ft slope my line should be at least 8" higher on the high side,right?

Is the best way to do this in one straight shot or should I run the first 7ft with 1/4" slope then vertical drop or 2 45s to get the last 16ft at 1/4" slope at the lower height?

I'll try and get a pic posted but I'm on my blackberry right now.
Thks
Rem

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. This will be a 3" line. I can swing the 1/4 inch if anything I'd like to get as much slope as possible. It prob won't get me too much but it sure will make me feel better. I like to not build to the min reqs,

My main concerns are the best way to run it. Since it seems I can achieve the necessary slope in my setup should I not worry bout any trickery and save on fittings and just get a properly sloped straight run from point A to B?

Another ques about the tie into the vertical stack, do I have to use a wye or sanitee? And if I do have to use a wye will a street 45 to the wye make my transition?

Last edited:

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Ok, here is my game plan, any problems with this setup?

Attachments

• Drain Line.jpg
    Drain Line.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 400

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Couple of changes. The tie into the main stack will be kinda high if I use a WYE because the angle I would be coming in with will be sharp.

Can I instead use a Sanitee in the vertical stack and come into the side using a long sweep 90?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A san tee would be the preferable method for going from horizontal to vertical.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, line is installed. I used the sanitee. I assembled the long length of 3" line and didn't glue the elbow to the sanitee. I was then able to get the maximum slope working around the limitations of the area. I ended up with almost 1/2" per foot slope. I think this will work better in the long run and lessen the potential for any stop-ups in the line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My mothers home has 250 feet of 4" clay line running to the main public sewer.
The only time we had a problem was when the gas company drilled their gas line through the center of the sewer line. 34 years running and no issues.
She has two 1.6 gallon toilets and one 3.5 gallon.

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
You are welcome to disagree.
We are not rooting against you.(no pun intended!)
I have been cleaning drains since the 80's,
your mileage may vary.Just trying to save you headaches.
Good luck.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
It makes sense, and is probably possible, just not convinced it is something to be too concerned with, especially not on my little slightly over minimum sloped line.

Worse case is this one bathroom gets backed up. That's why there's a cleanout at the beginning of the line and 5 other toilets in the house :)

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
It makes sense, and is probably possible, just not convinced it is something to be too concerned with, especially not on my little slightly over minimum sloped line.

Worse case is this one bathroom gets backed up. That's why there's a cleanout at the beginning of the line and 5 other toilets in the house :)

The codes do talk about having proper pitch on the pipe. I too been cleaning sewers and drains since the 80's just speaking from experience.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
slope

That is a fact, the proper pitch must be maintained to keep the solids in suspension

That is minimum pitch. The "liquid will outrun the solids" old wifes tale has been disproven many times. IF it were true, then EVERY vertical drain line would stop up every few days.
Cleaning drains since the 80's is admirable, but since I have been doing it since the 50's, AND have installed MANY sewer lines with much more than the minimum 1/4" per foot, and a few 4" lines with less than the minimum 1/8" pitch, neither case, however, giving ANY problems in either the long or short term, I would stick with my advice to not worry about "excessive" pitch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks