shower valve trim mystery

Users who are viewing this thread

WallyGater

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have installed a new 3/4 inch feed thermo control shower valve. It is made by BRIZO. I think they are a high end branch of delta. the valve body is in the wall, the guts went in with 4 screws, then a sealing plate / with gasket went on with 4 more screws. so far so good. after that a collar goes in with a valve stem and another screw. that went well. the final step is the finished wall plate / and then the knob goes on with a set screw. the finished wall plate has what looks like Velcro on it. the sealing plate also has the same strange Velcro on it. the strange Velcro lines up on the sealing plate and the Finnish plate. the strange looking Velcro is male on both parts so there is no bond at all. Has any one ever seen anything like this. What the hell is supposed to hold the finished plate on? I just don`t get it. Buy the way, this valve, with thermo guts, and trim kit, costs about 700. bucks retail. Are they kidding me with this design, or am I missing something?

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have installed a new 3/4 inch feed thermo control shower valve. It is made by BRIZO. I think they are a high end branch of delta. the valve body is in the wall, the guts went in with 4 screws, then a sealing plate / with gasket went on with 4 more screws. so far so good. after that a collar goes in with a valve stem and another screw. that went well. the final step is the finished wall plate / and then the knob goes on with a set screw. the finished wall plate has what looks like Velcro on it. the sealing plate also has the same strange Velcro on it. the strange Velcro lines up on the sealing plate and the Finnish plate. the strange looking Velcro is male on both parts so there is no bond at all. Has any one ever seen anything like this. What the hell is supposed to hold the finished plate on? I just don`t get it. Buy the way, this valve, with thermo guts, and trim kit, costs about 700. bucks retail. Are they kidding me with this design, or am I missing something?

Hi Wally,
The Hansgrohe unit I put in had a similar system as the one you describe. It worked very well in my case.

They both look like 'male' Velcro, but unlike real Velcro, which is hooks and loops, these are interlocking 'sticks'.

When I pressed down on it, it took a little effort to make it work, and I heard an obvious 'click', with the material on the Hansgrohe.

The important thing to keep in mind is the depth at which you set the body from the tile face. Perhaps it is not quite close enough to allow for proper contact.

I did, by the way, use clear Silicone caulk along the top edge of the finish escutcheon plate. I masked it off prior to sealing, so the caulk line is less than 1/16" wide, so hardly visible.

HE

Last edited by a moderator:

WallyGater

Reaction score
thank you Howard. I pressed hard on the strange Velcro and sure enough it clicked tight just like you said. Problem solved. You are a great asset to this forum and I truly appreciate the he time you spent reading my post and then solving my problem.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
thank you Howard. I pressed hard on the strange Velcro and sure enough it clicked tight just like you said. Problem solved. You are a great asset to this forum and I truly appreciate the he time you spent reading my post and then solving my problem.

Hi Wally,
I'm very glad to hear that it worked out for you!

Thank you for replying back to relate what happened............I wish more people would get back to responders so that the advice given can be judged to have been helpful or hopeless:)

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks