Ever see a lead toilet connection like this before?

Users who are viewing this thread

dimprov

Reaction score
It apparently penetrats the slab, and then somehow was grafted/soldered to regular 3" PVC below. But how did they do it?

I presume they used lead because it could deform (which, as you can see, it apparently did) when the slab was poured and subsequently expanded? But why go to such an elaborate method?

David

Attachments

• lpipe.jpg
    lpipe.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 765
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lead

The fact that the lead could deform would be one reason NOT to use it. And without seeing how they made the transition, we cannot tell you how they did it.

dimprov

Reaction score
I guess you mean the transition at the bottom? I toook some closer photos. I could post if it might shed any light.

What would be the motivation for using this type of connection? The house is vintage 2001 built by a major, publicly traded builder, not some crackerjack outfit.

David

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

One motivation could be that he was being paid time and material and that not only took some expensive material, but I can guarantee it also took more time than doing it the right way.

CarlH

Reaction score
The house is vintage 2001 built by a major, publicly traded builder, not some crackerjack outfit.

Have you seen the people these publicly traded outfits hire to build their homes? The cheapest bidder gets the contract. Some of these contractors can be crackerjack outfits. I'd much rather have a smaller builder who has a reputation to uphold. The big builders are driven more by profits and share holder value.

TheZster

Reaction score
wow.. that's pretty incredible, considering it was 2001. As the owner of a "fix n flip" company averaging numerous turnarounds per year - I know that I often dig through my "inventory" of leftovers to finish a new job... but I'd never resort to this kind of "crap"..... some things should go to the trash heap.. and anything requiring lead is one of them....

TedL

Reaction score
What's holding that flange in place?

What makes you think the lead is attached to the PVC? The lead "top hats" used with CI aren't.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
F&f

Ater seeing the "quality work" done by Fix and Flip contractors on the "Flip this House" TV program, I would not advertise too loudly that you were one of them.

TheZster

Reaction score
Those TV shows give professionals a bad name. Some of us strive for quality work in every aspect of our renovations... Even bothering to permit our projects.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
wow.. that's pretty incredible, considering it was 2001. As the owner of a "fix n flip" company averaging numerous turnarounds per year - I know that I often dig through my "inventory" of leftovers to finish a new job... but I'd never resort to this kind of "crap"..... some things should go to the trash heap.. and anything requiring lead is one of them....

Hey now I still prefer to use lead and oakum, and even lead flashings.

TheZster

Reaction score
Hey now I still prefer to use lead and oakum, and even lead flashings.

No offense intended... and I apologize if I offended you.... Maybe it's because I don't know how to work with lead/oakum... and prefer the simplicity of plastic..... But - I digress... and the thread should move back to the intended question...

Xroad

Reaction score
100 year old house

My mother's 100 year old house had lead pipe like that. Toilet sits on a wax ring sealthat sits on the lead "flared" end of pipe and eventually mates up the cast iron.

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
Lead to cast iron was the way it was done 100 years ago.

And I wish it would come back to that, that was a form of art. My lead pot and tools set in a room in my office, and I ask pending applicants if they have any clue as to what they are, you should hear some of the replies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks