Water comes up other sink when disposal is on

Users who are viewing this thread

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
It`s called a branch tail piece that goes to the sink that the desposer is not connected to.What code do you follow? We are only allowed one trap per
fixture.IPC code book.

As I quoted I follow the Illinois Plumbing code in post #14

In tha tpost I posted the parts that the Illinois code addresses about a disposail installed on a sink.

I wil post again what is right from the code book of Illinois on Plumbing and I will make the text Red and bold that pertains to seprate traps and not installing the the dishwasher into the disposail.

Section 890.710 Food Waste Disposal Units

a) Installation. Food waste disposal units shall be trapped separately from any other fixture or compartment, shall be connected directly to the sanitary drainage system, and shall be properly vented. Dishwashers shall not discharge into food waste disposal units. Units may have either automatic or hand-operated water supply control. (See Section 890.1130(a), (b) and (c).)

b) Commercial-Type Grinders. Commercial-type food grinders shall be provided with a waste line at least 2 inches in diameter. (See Appendix F: Illustration D.)​

Section 890.770 Dishwashing Machines

a) Domestic Dishwasher (Private Residence). When a domestic dishwashing machine drain line is connected to the house side of a trap from a sink, the drain from the dishwasher shall be carried up to the underside of the spill rim of the sink. Dishwashing machines shall discharge separately into a trap or tail piece of the kitchen sink and shall not connect to the food waste disposal unit.
b) Water Supply Connection. The water supply to commercial dishwashing machines shall be connected through an air gap or by means of proper backflow protection, e.g., a non-pressure type (atmospheric) vacuum breaker or a dual check valve backflow preventer assembly (DuC), depending upon the circumstances.

c) Commercial dishwashing machines shall indirectly discharge to a proper receptor connected to the drainage system or as permitted in Section 890.1010(a).

d) Hot Water. A commercial dishwashing machine or similar dishwashing equipment that relies upon hot water for sanitizing dishes and utensils, rather than chemicals for sanitizing, shall provide rinse water at 180 degrees F., except for a single-tank, stationary-rack, single temperature dishwashing machine which shall provide a rinse water temperature of 165 degrees F., in accordance with Section 750.830(h) of the "Food Service Sanitation Code" (77 Ill. Adm. Code 750).​

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I know Iwas just thinking out loud.Every community has it`s rules and it`s all
to protect the health of the public.

TedL

Reaction score
Ron, I have to say, I look forward to your posts.

And when I redo my kichen in a year or two, I may plumb the sink/disposer as you show is required in Illinois, as long as it meets NY's current code. The wife would like getting rid of the long side-to-side tube.

Marty53

Reaction score

I had this same issue after my kitchen remodel. It was fine for a couple of months.. then I think because we were running a disposer through 50 year old clogged galvanized pipes, it clogged so bad I couldnt get anything to drain after snaking for a hours.

I ended up ripping out the basement ceiling and cutting out all the galvanized. This is what the pipes looked like:

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 5,721

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I had this same issue after my kitchen remodel. It was fine for a couple of months.. then I think because we were running a disposer through 50 year old clogged galvanized pipes, it clogged so bad I couldnt get anything to drain after snaking for a hours.

I ended up ripping out the basement ceiling and cutting out all the galvanized. This is what the pipes looked like:

Looks like you made the right choice!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Connecting two sinks using a ""Y", double "Y", or anything else into a single opening, is a lot different than connecting two sinks into a vertical riser using TWO openings on the same level. In fact, if the code actually meant that it applied to a "Y" connection of that kind, there would be no reason to mention the "at the same level" because there is no way they could be connected at different levels.

Marty53

Reaction score
Is that a tapper? How dare you soil it's habitat with old dirty pipes?:D

Haha.. yea thats my kegerator... Getting things dirty didn't matter much after i cut into that pipe with a sawzall and got a faceful of sludge..

Really though.. like Redwood said it was the sludge that stopped those pipes from leaking. Amazingly, there were NO LEAKS in this pipe, just backed up into the sinks.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Haha.. yea thats my kegerator... Getting things dirty didn't matter much after i cut into that pipe with a sawzall and got a faceful of sludge..

Really though.. like Redwood said it was the sludge that stopped those pipes from leaking. Amazingly, there were NO LEAKS in this pipe, just backed up into the sinks.

I have ran into many sink lines after I unclogged them they leaked like sieve.

michael-thomas

Reaction score
Ron,

Does the IL plumbing code incorporate the "directional fittings" requirements in IRC 2707.1 / UPC 405.4 for FWGs and DWs?

- Thanks

doug1971

Reaction score
Do a small test, fill up the side without the disposal. Fill it all the way up. Then let it drain and observe what happens on the disposal side. If it backs up into the other side while it is draining then there is a partial blockage.

See most people just run the water in both sides and it will drain just fine, but when you fill a side up and let the water go, you are getting a flow rate greater than what the faucet can supply and it will help you diagnose the issue. Now if it does not back up when you drain that side of the sink. The problem is in how its piped under the sink. Then a picture will be a great help.

I did this test as well. When water goes into right side sink it drains to to the left side disposal but doesn't drain. If I turn on the disposal it pumps it back over into the right side sink and black stuff comes up. Eventually both will go down but not fully drain. The more clear water I put in the right side and drain to the left, then turn the disposal on, the water gets less black each time. Does this mean I need to clean all the pipes underneath? I had a plumber run a snake in the pipe that is right outside the house in front of the kitchen (I forgot what it's called) and he said he ran 75 ft with no blockage and he checked the main too, and it was clear. No other drains in the house are backing up or slow, just the kitchen sink. Hopefully you have some insight because "Rooter Hero" had no explanation for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks