Water hammer arrestors and code

Users who are viewing this thread

John/Charleston

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and found it by searching for code information on Water hammer arrestors.
I understand what the arrestors are and how they work but I haven't been able to find if and where code requires them. Some one told me they were required on every fixture but I find that hard to believe. I'm helping a friend remodel her bathroom and I notice the the old plumbing had the old school air chambers (not much good, I understand) and the newer master bath had none installed at all.
Are they required in bathroom fittings or only at quick closing valves?

Thanks,
John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure if they're ever 'required' by code, but functionally, they are useful. Note, often codes state something like "installed per the manufacturer's instructions and local code". Some valves say to install one in their instructions. Now, whether the inspector will ever read them is another thing. They don't cost much, so if you are worried, put them in. Ask the building department what they want (you are getting a permit?).

John/Charleston

Reaction score
Well no, she doesn't have a permit, that's why I didn't call the bld dept. I recognize the usefullness of the arrestors but I'm 53 years old and I've never dealt with water hammer problems and her house doesn't seem to have them either. I figure it must be not all that common.

I'll probably put them on the shower valve since it backs up to another tile shower and it would be a BIG problem if it did occur.
I'd put them at the lav and toilet as well if code asks for it but I didnt see a reason to spend the extra $40 otherwise.

Thanks,
John

SeattlePlumber

Service plumber.
Reaction score
Water hammer arrestors....

In the UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) they are required on all automatic valves. In the typical house this usually means water lines supplying dishwashers, clothes washers and ice makers.

That being said, don't bother. They are basically useless. Even the expensive ones don't really work that well. If you have high water pressure, you'd be better off installing a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) on the main line and then dial the pressure down to 60psi. Also install a thermal expansion tank if you do this. From there, make sure the piping is secured well. (Note: Water hammer is usually a problem on copper piping only).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I find that the hammer arrestors help.
If you have a pressure reducing valve, then they are required at fast closing fixtures like
Ice Maker
Dishwasher
Clotheswasher

A pressure reducer creates a closed system.

mini_resters.jpg

The one on the left is for a washer.
The one in the center can be soldered onto a tee.
The one on the right can be used inline like for a lav supply or an icemaker line.

Attachments

• 660T.jpg
    660T.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 20,298
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks