(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Frozen Forced Air Furnace?

Default Frozen Forced Air Furnace?

Hi,

Can a Forced Air Furnace be damaged by freezing conditions? I'm considering a place where the furnace was exposed to freezing and I am wondering what could be damaged with it.

Thanks for any replies
    Last edited by molo; 02-16-2009 at 07:46 PM.
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Unless it has a humidifer in it, probably not.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

If it is high efficiency with condensate discharge, you may need to heat tape the discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by PEW View Post
    If it is high efficiency with condensate discharge, you may need to heat tape the discharge.
    Or you might have to replace a tray or tube if it's let to freeze with water in the tray or tube. That would be a relatively cheep repair.
    Important note Ė I donít know man made laws, just laws of physics
    Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Darwin awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arden View Post
    Or you might have to replace a tray or tube if it's let to freeze with water in the tray or tube. That would be a relatively cheep repair.

Unless the unit is in the attic and the pipe breaks away from the tray...... Been there done that.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

My condensing boiler has a trap in it, so if it held water, you'd probably break it. A conventional furnace would not normally have any water in it by design...not saying if you left it in the rain and then it froze you wouldn't have problems (maybe more from the rain in the controls!), but normally, except for the water vapor from the combustion process that normally goes out the flue, there should not be any water in there, and the controls normally wouldn't have a problem, or they'd never be able to ship them anywhere in the winter...few train cars or tractor trailers are heated.

Boilers, on the other hand, unless purged (blown dry) would likely have problems, depending on the quantity and where water was in them when it froze.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014