flux in shower head

Users who are viewing this thread

WallyGater

Reaction score
after flushing the system for a good 10 minutes, I then installed the new shower head. after running the new head, I noticed a residue coming out of it. It looks like solder flux, or it might be pipe dope. It looks more like flux than it does pipe joint compound. the shower head is brass, with a brushed nickel finish. How can I clean it out. It does not come apart, so I was hoping I could soak it in something. What can I soak this shower head in that will dissolve the flux, but wont ruin the finish?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flux?

What did they do? Put the flux on with a paint brush? Normally, the flux is "evaporated" when the joint is heated. I don't think I have ever seen flux in the water after doing a joint. I suppose one way would be to take the head off and rinse it out.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
after flushing the system for a good 10 minutes, I then installed the new shower head. after running the new head, I noticed a residue coming out of it. It looks like solder flux, or it might be pipe dope. It looks more like flux than it does pipe joint compound. the shower head is brass, with a brushed nickel finish. How can I clean it out. It does not come apart, so I was hoping I could soak it in something. What can I soak this shower head in that will dissolve the flux, but wont ruin the finish?

I suggest taking off the shower head, put on a kettle of boiling water and hold the head opening with some long pliers over the screaming steam hole for about a minute or so. If you can somehow have the head pointing down at the same time that will certainly help it do a better job.

While you're doing that the shower should be running, only hot water, to make sure everything else is out of the pipe before putting it back on.

HE

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks