Connection Help

Users who are viewing this thread

gsici

Reaction score
I have a steam generator which came with crappy installation instructions.

I have a water input which is a plastic male 1/2" thread which I need to connect to my 1/2"copper pipe water supply and would like to add a valve.

I went to Home Depot and found a valve with the 1/2" (solder) and with a 3/8" male. I then found a flex hose with 3/8 female and 1/2 female. The problem is that the 1/2 female is metal and the male on the steam unit is plastic. Can these be connected?

Attachments

• 100_1016.JPG
    100_1016.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 231

gsici

Reaction score
Steam Output

Thank you Furd.

Now I need to connect a 3/4" copper to the steam out, but instructions call for a union at the connection point in case appliance needs to be serviced. Not sure I know what components to get. Any suggestions?

gsici

Reaction score
Thx again Furd for the quick reply. Not sure I follow the sequence.

I believe the piece on the right is threaded to the appliance (with teflon???) then solder a piece of 3/4" tubing OR just add the piece on the left. When does the center piece come in?

gsici

Reaction score
Pipe wrap

Got all the parts today for the hook up. I need pipe wrap for the 3/4" rigid copper. The instruction manual calls for something resistant to 250 degrees F (which I think is crazy). None the less the stuff at HD (Reflectix)is rated to 180 degrees. Anyone know what I can use?????

gsici

Reaction score
Well maybe 250 makes sense. What could I put around pipe that would not melt?

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
My illustration of fittings was in no particular order, simply representational of what you may need.

As for insulating the steam discharge pipe just use fiberglass. They used to make a package of fiberglass insulation for wrapping pipes. It had a roll of fiberglass about fifty feet long and about four inches wide, maybe an inch thick or so. Half-lap it on the steam pipe and maybe use two layers. If it comes with a plastic overwrap simply toss the overwrap and use some tape or wire ties to secure the loose end of the fiberglass.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
steam

If Kohler said their line gets "around 200 degrees", they forgot their basic physics. Steam STARTS at 212 degrees and goes UP depending on the pressure.

gsici

Reaction score
Thanks all. I think I am ready to make some connections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks