Sewer ejector pump smells

Users who are viewing this thread

tdog

Reaction score
I have a sewer ejector pump that was installed in my basement from the previous homeowner who but a shower, sink and toilet in when he finished the basement. I have noticed periodically that the basement will get a sewer like smell only in the area where the pump is. I noticed that the vent from the pump is capped off with an autovent..he did not run a vent pipe to the outside or through the roof. Can this be causing the smell and is this acceptable under code? If not, how can I find solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The basin needs to be vented up and out, and an AAV would do nothing good in this type of set-up. This should be addressed ASAP as sewer gas can be highly poisonous.

The local building inspector might allow venting out a sidewall, but I believe most locations would specify venting out through the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks