Loud clunk when humidifier turns off

Users who are viewing this thread

rschmitty

Reaction score
Recently I had a humidifier repaired, it needed a new solenoid. The humidifier never worked since we moved in but now that it is working, anytime it shuts off there is a loud clunk that can be heard around the house.

When I stand in front of the humidifier it doesnt sound as loud as I would have expected, seems like its coming from inside the pipes? Not sure how to describe it

Is this normal or is there something I can do or adjust?

Last edited:

Hube

Reaction score
Recently I had a humidifier repaired, it needed a new solenoid. The humidifier never worked since we moved in but not that it is working, anytime it shuts off there is a loud clunk that can be heard around the house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may need to add a water hammer arrestor in-line. Solonoid valves open and close quickly. Opening isn't usually an issue, but closing can be - water has inertia...and it wants to keep moving. It will have to stop quickly when the valve closes, and this can cause things to move.

A hammer arrestor has a piston and a sealed air chamber or an air bladder (depends on the type). It needs to be installed close to the offending valve. But, it will be a long-term solution that should fix the problem. Sioux City, Watts, and others make them. They aren't particularly expensive ($10 or so), and should solve your problem, but they do require installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks