New Tile - Tub Spout Won't Thread On

Users who are viewing this thread

Christo

Reaction score
I have tiled and now the tub spout won't screw on, as the copper male feed is not long enough. Any suggestions on what I can do. Home Depot has the standard tub spouts that do not work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you have access to the back side of the wall? Depending on the size of the hole, you might be able to tweak things from the front, but it sounds like you will need to replace the fitting with a piece of pipe and then reinstall the threaded fitting. It's unlikely that you could add a coupler and a new fitting. How much more length do you need?

Christo

Reaction score
Tub Spout Male End Won't Reach Female End -New Tile Job

Hi
Thanks for responding. No I don't have access to the back. I need 1/2"
Does anyone think a female/male coupler, if there is such a thing, and if this idea is feasible, would work? If not is soldering difficult to do. Thanks for any more thoughts or comments.

TheZster

Reaction score
Time to learn to sweat fittings... it's not difficult, not at all... and will require about $20 in materials/equipment for this small job. Oops, add another $9.95 for a plumbing book to learn how to do it.... Practice on a couple of pieces of scrap pipe before hitting the "real thing"...

It's nice learning new skills... that you can use another day in the future... and beats calling a plumber to do it for you at $100... +++

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is the tub out for your spout a threaded brass nipple? If so, unscrew it and get a longer one.

delta-tub-spout-install.jpg

Delta Faucet RP5834 1/2" CHROME TUB SPOUT, 5-5/8" x 2-1/2"

Last edited by a moderator:

Christo

Reaction score
Photo Of Pipe

Attached is a photo. Hope this helps with any further suggestions. Thanks
Hope this is clear. A copper pipe with threaded male end which is short about 1/2" to attach to the female end of tub spout.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,825

TedL

Reaction score
I would cut the existing tubing coming from the wall and use a piece of repair tubing (which fits outside the standard tubing) to extend the length, sweating in place.

There is an easy way out if you don't want to learn how to sweat (sweating is much easier than tiling). There are spouts in hardware stores and big boxes that slip over a 1/2" copper stub, sealing with an o-ring and retaining with a set screw. This would only require a neat (not ragged) cut off of the male adapter. Length would not require any precision measuring either.

Your choice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

There are several ways to correct it, ranging from several different types of spouts to cutting that copper tube off, then using a coupling and new piece to fit. But the easiest way for you would be to remove that adapter, get a solder coupling and a malex"copper/street" adapter which slips into it. That would make up your 1/2" difference. Check the actual dimension before soldering it together and either cut off the copper or slide the adapter out to make it correct.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You can remove that male adapter off the end of the copper and get a new tub spout that slips onto the copper pipe and secures with a set screw. also they make a screw on one that is adjustable. Thing with the adjustable one is you still may have to shorten your length of copper coming out of the wall and solder on the male adapter. I would go with the slip on tub spout.

tubspout-slipfit.jpg

tubspout-adjustable.gif

Last edited:

Christo

Reaction score
Thank To All - Problem Solved

I got to thinking that a copper coupler would work. Sure enough with a little elbow grease I got the tub spout to fit flush with the tile. A four dollar part from HD
All the best to all.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks