Big loss of pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Blk90s13

Reaction score
I changed over all my copper pipes in the upper level of my house to quick connect and now I lost pressure in both my bathroom and kitchen

I replaced the same fittings and pipe sizes with the quick connect and took all copper pipes out

Did that beacause my copper pipes were green in alot of places taped fittings and leaking elbows so I opened my basment ceiling up and went to work on them

Any idea what can I do now ? I run well water and the laundry faucet which is about 10 ft from the well gets insane pressure every thing else upstairs is just too low of pressure :mad:

thanks for your help
Mo.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What is "quick connect"? If you replaced 1/2" copper with 1/2" pex you have gone to a smaller pipe and can expect some pressure loss.

You replaced the copper just because it had some green patina on it???

Blk90s13

Reaction score
quick connect fitting http://www.probite.com/ and yes I went from 1/2 copper to 1/2 pex and 3/4 copper to 3/4 pex I pretty much took out copper and put pex every where that runs my entire upper level of the house

The copper fitting were leaky and rusted ( green ) also beacause I have a well water figured the copper pipes are shot and sure enough there were very greasy on the inside we talking fresh water pipes here

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If your copper was installed wrong and you replaced it with PEX the reduction of the pipes ID may have something to do with flow loss...you may have not had great flow to begin with but thought it was OK...if the problem is pressure then it is a well problem...if it is a flow problem it is most likely the PEX smaller ID causing less flow...if the ceilings are still open you may want to consider re piping differently...What is the well switch set at pressure wise...???

Copper oxidises...it does not rust...

Blk90s13

Reaction score
If your copper was installed wrong and you replaced it with PEX the reduction of the pipes ID may have something to do with flow loss...you may have not had great flow to begin with but thought it was OK...if the problem is pressure then it is a well problem...if it is a flow problem it is most likely the PEX smaller ID causing less flow...if the ceilings are still open you may want to consider re piping differently...What is the well switch set at pressure wise...???

Copper oxidises...it does not rust...

the pressure tank on the well is set to 38 psi it works great on the laundry sink down stairs its actualy very strong you cant open it all the way it would hurt your hand but then again its about 10 ft away from the well

and right ontop of it is the kitchen sink with close to nothing its annoying me the pressure was not great to start with and when I bought the house a year ago the well service guy said my pipes are pretty clogged and I should look into switching over from copper so it does not react with the high mineral in my ground water

and you know what I meant about the copper pipe they dont rust I understand

the ceilings are all open I am actualy changing over all the sheet rock but I wont replace the pipes again I spent close to $400 on fittings and pipes that would go to junk now

I may look into a better well or even a pressure tank before I ever change the pipes

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You should be able to just up the pressure on the well pressure switch from 40/60 to 50/70. Maybe that will help because a new pressure tank will not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks