Valley 2 handle shower

Users who are viewing this thread

db99wj

Real Estate Appraiser
Reaction score
I'm new, my first post. Thank you for your time. I am not a professional, but can do a lot for myself around the house. Here's my problem.

I have a two handle shower that will leak when I shut the hot water off. It is made by Valley. Bought the new stem kit, new spring and rubber seal. My problem is that I go from either that it won't shut off at all,the flow is all out or about half way on, but the water won't shut off or the way it is in right now, it will shut off....almost. There is a constant drip.

The parts that I replaced is this below and the spring and rubber seal.

cartridge-6804.jpg
They are from plumbing supply

valley_faucet_springs_and_seals.jpg

The spring goes in, the rubber seal goes around the spring, the spring set also came with a plastic insert that goes into the rubber seal, the stem above goes in with the bottom part of the pic in first, then the extender thing that attaches to the top of the pic above, then the metal surround with the hole in it, that you tighten up, the reattach the handle.

I'm guessing that I am not positioning it correctly when I put it in, then reinstall, but I can't figure it out how or what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:

db99wj

Real Estate Appraiser
Reaction score
I took everything out, I took out the small white plastic insert that went into the rubber seal, there was not one in the one that came out of it, and reinstalled the parts. I positioned the stem with the part that stops the extender from going past that point (the range of movement of the handle if that makes sense), anyway, that piece is on the outside side...if that makes sense. Turned the water back on, and I can turn off the water, but I have to turn it toward the off then bring it back a little in order to turn it off all the way. If it is turned all the way off, I can hear the water running, and it is a constant drip. So I am close but still not completely right.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Valley seats need the white plastic piece. It is never a good idea to freelance valve assemblies.

db99wj

Real Estate Appraiser
Reaction score
Ok, I will reassemble with the white piece, previous one didn't have the white piece with the kit, so I wasn't sure if it was suppose to go into mine.

With that in mind, it still has the problem with or without the white piece. Does the cartridge have to be in a certain position or can it go in however I put it in there?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cartridge

The cartridge has two tabs which fit into slots on the faucet body. Therefore it can only be inserted two ways, and one of them will cause the handle to operate backwards. If you did not insert them correctly you may have sheared off the tabs, and that could result in you having to adjust/tweak the handle to turn it off, rather than it operating properly.

db99wj

Real Estate Appraiser
Reaction score
I know these tabs, I have seen them. I will check and see if they are still there.

Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks