Help with Tub/Shower Remodel Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

JimT

Reaction score
See the first response for the actual question.
Thanks.
JimT

Last edited:

JimT

Reaction score
JimT said:
:confused: My wife and I are preparing to get a couple of estimates on remodeling our main bathroom, part of which involves replacing an old steel tub with fiberglass wall surrounds, 60 inches by 31 or 32 inches. Since both of us are retired, we are on a limited budget, so cost is a consideration, and we love anything that is LOW MAINTENANCE.

1) We are thinking of going with one of the 3- or 4-piece fiberglass tub/shower surrounds. Is this the best option for relatively low cost and LOW MAINTENANCE? If not, what else would you recommend that is relatively low cost and LOW MAINTENANCE?

2) Assuming we go with a multiple piece tub/shower surround, some of them are advertised as caulk/adhesive free (snap together), but I've read some articles that recommend using caulk even though the manufacturer does not require it. Does anyone have enough experience with such units to tell me what they recommend - to caulk or not to caulk - that is the question.

3) What specific name brand or model of the multiple piece tub/shower surrounds is recommended? Why?

Many thanks for any help/advice that you can give to us.
JimT

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding? - Elvis Costello

Bbellabird

Reaction score
As a former Home Depot employee, I can tell you to stay away from the Sterling kits. The walls are very thin and break easily. Mustee(?) something that the name ended in an "ee" was what the remodeling contractors recommeded alot. Its not packaged pretty and doesn't have alot of selection of styles but the walls are much thicker. We very rarely got it back as a return. It's also priced cheaper.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I bought a Lasco brand, special order from Home Depot. It seems ok, but not what I'd call cheap $-wise. It was a 2-piece shower. I definitely caulked in between the two pieces. Make sure that support media like sand/cement mix is piled underneath the unit.
After all was said and done, I wish I'd installed a tile shower. If you're a DIY'er and since you're retired you have lots of time ;) , consider it. Tiling is pretty inexpensive and if you take your time and spend some time at Johnbridge.com you can have a fantastic shower that is significantly better than fiberglass.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks