how to pipe the sump discharge into street catchbasin

Users who are viewing this thread

ct-esq

Reaction score
I'll leave the sordid story of my twice wet basement for another time, but I received permission from my town to pipe my sump (and gutter) discharge into the catchbasin.

You see, I live on the corner of two streets and at that corner is catch basin. A prior owner routed a PVC pipe to the street and the sump discharge, in a very unsightly manner, flows into the street and then down the curb to the catchbasin.

My Town's building/engineering dept gave me permission to "knock a block" out of the back of the catchbasin and insert a pipe with a correspondence backflow preventer and allowance to pipe the sump discharge and gutter drainage directly inside. This is made easier by the natural slope - gravity draining to the catch basin is fine.

my issue is with the final hok-up - i'm fine with digging the trench, putting some crushed stone on the bottom, measuring and assembling 4" pvc with the proper slope, etc, attaching the check value and allowing for access points for a later snake job - How do you "knock a block" out of the catchbasin and put the 4" PVC thru the concrete (and seal it up) so this entire thing comes together? concrete and dealing with the town's property seems to be a bit outside my league.

So my questions are: is the hook-up a DIY job? if not, what kid of contractor might be able to do this properly?

Thanks for your input.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The basin is next to the road? Have you looked to see if it is prefabricated concrete or actual block?

Depending on how it it made, I would probably start with a hammer drill at the center of your proposed outlet. Start with a small hole (3/16-1/4") and work up to the biggest bit you can fit in the drill. Once you have an initial hole you can work at opening up the hole a little at a time with a cold chisel and hammer until your pipe fits through. (a small air hammer would be a time saver) Once the pipe is in place, you would only need to mix up a little cement to seal up around the edges.

If it's prefab it might have rebar in it. In that case some cutting will need to be done too.

ct-esq

Reaction score
thanks

as much fun as this could be and a great opportunity to buy more tools, i think i'm going to split the job with a pro - i'll handle the ditch and let the pro finish it up!

thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks