Tankless water heater recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Here's my tankless experiance. Last March my 40 gallon gas water heater finally died after almost 25 years. We did a bunch of web research and decided to have a Rinnai tankless installed by a local company. They came out and did a very nice job of installing the new unit. They upsized the gas line and ran the vent properly and did a very neat job of the whole thing. From day one we noticed that there was a long lag time in getting the hot water to the fixtures. running a small amount of water such as rinsing dishes would not be enough to let the heater fire. Running anything other than one fixture in the house at a time either produced not enough hot water or the temperature would fluctuate. We have Symmons temperature pressure balanced valves in both bathrooms and they do not like the temperature of fluctuation at all so we had to resort to planning shower times so that no one else in the house would be running water at the same time. Lastly the unbelieveable gas savings amounted to about 4 bucks a month and was far and away not worth the inconveniance and aggravation. The plumber (nice guy) came out a bunch of times to see if he could make things better. Our piping is 1" copper for the main line with 3/4" branches and 1/2" feeders so he says that is more than enough. The simple fact is that the unit just does not have the capacity to make hot water for anything other than a single bath home with two people living in it. After a very frustrating 9 months we finally had the thing taken out and have gone back to a 40 gallon gas water heater. It sure is nice to be able to take a long hot shower again without having to dance from one end of the tub to the other. Maybe these things would work ok in a camp or a very small house but if you have more than one bathroom and a couple of kids in the house BEWARE.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I suspect that if our 2 highly satisfied customers actually sat back and examined their installation they might just decide there was a few things they didn't care for with the way their installations are acting...

But when you can't get them to be honest, or, even answer questions regarding their installation...

Well they dug their hole...:D

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Time to man up or shut up Laddy. Got the GPM deliverable vs temperature rise curve handy for your unit? No BS; no who needs to do the dishes and take a shower at the same time; no who needs a 2.5 GPM shower head; no livin' in grandma's old house; this is the real world. Day job; wife; kids; the whole nine yards. Give me the manufacturer's temp rise vs. gpm curve. Come on. Make my day.

Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Actually tank-less will work just great
Redo the plumbing if needed & install one for each shower/tub
Then install another one for every 2 sinks & smaller devices
Might be expen$ive, but it will work :D
They estimate 20 year life span, you won't save the installation & cost in that time frame VS a tank-less, but you can say you aren't paying that $4 a month for standby heating of water

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks