(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tankless water heater recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Ladiesman271 View Post
    Well since that is the only unit that you sell, then you are all set!
    Blah Blah Blah

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Bodrey View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation on a tankless water heater? HD sells the Aquastar, Bosch and Paloma brands. I know nothing about any of these companies, whether their products are good or bad, reliable, etc. Also, is it worth paying more to get one with a higher GPM rate? It seems they start around 3.5 gallons per minute and go up from there. I live alone but if I were ever to sell I'm wondering if a 3.5 GPM unit would be insufficient for a family. The only concern I saw from one of the user reviews is as follows...

"This has been a great heater, significantly lowering our costs, however, it only provides a 70 deg F temperature rise. In winter, our cold water is about 40deg F (5deg C) to 110F. This provides a good shower, but is not hot enough for dishes, etc.

Any advice/recommendations as far as performance, brand reliability, etc. would be appreciated.
    Getting a "fair" question regarding tankless water heaters from this website will be a joke at best and a complete attack on your intelligence at worst. Do what I did last year.... Figure out your TOTAL hot water needs, your cold water inlet temp (lowest average), and what the piping is like in your house size wise (both water and gas). Once you have those FACTS as they apply to YOUR situation you can begin to make an educated guess on YOUR needs.

A tankless unit isn't for everyone in every situation, however, a tankless system will work for far more than some of the so called pro's on here will admit to. When I was researching a unit to go in MY home last summer I looked at what the big box stores had to offer. I found that they didn't have the modulated burner feature that would allow for variable gas consumption and thus true variable hot water output without restricting flow prematurely or in place of burner control. A couple of the "upper end" tankless units had the ability to vary the burner based on hot water demand. Those units were what I narrowed my choice to.... it was so tempting to run to Lowes and make a quick purchase but I am glad I didn't do that.

Trust no one... do your research. If you don't feel comfortable with this path... go hire a plumber and give him you checkbook.
    "Dude, we can fix that. My old man is a TV repairman, he's got the ultimate set of tools!" --Jeff Spicoli

http://web.me.com/greg.saulsbury/ChosatongaSpeaks

Default tankless

I believe it was Will Rogers who said, "Never argue about politics or religion". I guess we can add tankless heaters and putty/silicone to that list, because there will never be a definitive settlement to it.

Here's the part that kills me. For some warped reason you seem to think we are against tankless heaters because we are against new technology ? Look, if the products performed to homeowners expectations and there were not warranty problems and service issues and they actually delivered on thier promiss why would'nt we want to sell and install them? I can make damn good money selling and installing them can't I? I am after all in business to make money and any product that Performs well would certainly be an opportunity to make more. We are against them because of the numerous problems associated with them and we all have enough integrity not to be pushing problems on our customers. Those home owners that have decided to hack one in for themselves don't ever have to deal with unhappy customers, questions and call backs. Nor do they have to answer to inspectors or anyone other than their wives and family. So no, you guys are not going to get a glowing endorsment of these things from professionals that deal with them day in and day out. If you are in love with yours than great, but neither one of you has enough experiance to be giving anybody advice on the subject.

Here's my tankless experiance. Last March my 40 gallon gas water heater finally died after almost 25 years. We did a bunch of web research and decided to have a Rinnai tankless installed by a local company. They came out and did a very nice job of installing the new unit. They upsized the gas line and ran the vent properly and did a very neat job of the whole thing. From day one we noticed that there was a long lag time in getting the hot water to the fixtures. running a small amount of water such as rinsing dishes would not be enough to let the heater fire. Running anything other than one fixture in the house at a time either produced not enough hot water or the temperature would fluctuate. We have Symmons temperature pressure balanced valves in both bathrooms and they do not like the temperature of fluctuation at all so we had to resort to planning shower times so that no one else in the house would be running water at the same time. Lastly the unbelieveable gas savings amounted to about 4 bucks a month and was far and away not worth the inconveniance and aggravation. The plumber (nice guy) came out a bunch of times to see if he could make things better. Our piping is 1" copper for the main line with 3/4" branches and 1/2" feeders so he says that is more than enough. The simple fact is that the unit just does not have the capacity to make hot water for anything other than a single bath home with two people living in it. After a very frustrating 9 months we finally had the thing taken out and have gone back to a 40 gallon gas water heater. It sure is nice to be able to take a long hot shower again without having to dance from one end of the tub to the other. Maybe these things would work ok in a camp or a very small house but if you have more than one bathroom and a couple of kids in the house BEWARE.

Imagine that.. An unsatisfied tankelss customer. Who'd a figured?

I suspect that if our 2 highly satisfied customers actually sat back and examined their installation they might just decide there was a few things they didn't care for with the way their installations are acting...

But when you can't get them to be honest, or, even answer questions regarding their installation...

Well they dug their hole...

Time to man up or shut up Laddy. Got the GPM deliverable vs temperature rise curve handy for your unit? No BS; no who needs to do the dishes and take a shower at the same time; no who needs a 2.5 GPM shower head; no livin' in grandma's old house; this is the real world. Day job; wife; kids; the whole nine yards. Give me the manufacturer's temp rise vs. gpm curve. Come on. Make my day.
    Last edited by sjsmithjr; 02-13-2009 at 03:22 PM.
    -Sam Smith
    Licensed Professional Geologist - AL, TN, KY

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Actually tank-less will work just great
    Redo the plumbing if needed & install one for each shower/tub
    Then install another one for every 2 sinks & smaller devices
    Might be expen$ive, but it will work
    They estimate 20 year life span, you won't save the installation & cost in that time frame VS a tank-less, but you can say you aren't paying that $4 a month for standby heating of water
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house