(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tankless water heater recommendation

Question tankless water heater recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation on a tankless water heater? HD sells the Aquastar, Bosch and Paloma brands. I know nothing about any of these companies, whether their products are good or bad, reliable, etc. Also, is it worth paying more to get one with a higher GPM rate? It seems they start around 3.5 gallons per minute and go up from there. I live alone but if I were ever to sell I'm wondering if a 3.5 GPM unit would be insufficient for a family. The only concern I saw from one of the user reviews is as follows...

"This has been a great heater, significantly lowering our costs, however, it only provides a 70 deg F temperature rise. In winter, our cold water is about 40deg F (5deg C) to 110F. This provides a good shower, but is not hot enough for dishes, etc.

Any advice/recommendations as far as performance, brand reliability, etc. would be appreciated.

Default heater

Some of us think that asking us for a recommendation for a tankless heater, is like asking vegetarians where to find a good steak house. In other words using "good" and "tankless" in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

Performance of even a well made tankless unit depends upon many variables like:

• Where do you live? Some parts of the US are better suited for a tankless than others.

• Do have "city water" or use a well? Do you have to treat your water?

• What is the temperature of the incoming water?

• Do you have adequate gas service? Electric is out of the question.

• How many and what types of plumbing fixtures do you have that use hot water?

• Even if you choose a quality brand with a good reputation, what is the availability of parts and service for it in your area?

• You mentioned resell. Will the new owners be satisfied with only being able to run certain fixtures at the same time? Hard to answer that one.

• And most importantly, what are the plumbing code requirements for installation where you live?

Brace yourself. The topic of tankless water heaters are second only to religion for the spirited debates they can spark!
    Last edited by sjsmithjr; 02-12-2009 at 01:25 PM.
    -Sam Smith
    Licensed Professional Geologist - AL, TN, KY

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Depending on how many fixtures in the home that uses hot water, you may need to install more thanone unit to meet the demand for future owners. Give this thread a read. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26706

The projected 4.8% savings over a conventional tank type high effeciency heater will take the better part of 20 years use to hit the break even point. The required annual maintainence on the unit (descaling) will more than likely negate any savings at all and in fact if you project those costs over the life of the heater, make tankless heaters more expensive to operate.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking Please>>>>>not again>>>>>>>>>>>

please say it aint so......

not again, sweet mother of god

not again

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Oh come on now guys, let people spend their money we need to stimulate the economy, might as well do it and make everyone feel they are being green at the same time. They feel good for spending the money on a system that has a lot more hype than facts posted about, we feel good since we made some money and could pay our bills. It is sad though when you do an Internet search about tankless water heaters there is like 10000 pages of hype to the 1 page that gives straight forward answers like the one A.O. Smith has out there.

You wanna go green? Get a bucket of paint. VOC free please. Cause there ain't nothing green about tankless heaters. In fact because they burn a 200,000 btu + they spew 4 to 5 times more carbon out than standard heaters.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking what about my site???

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    It is sad though when you do an Internet search about tankless water heaters there is like 10000 pages of hype to the 1 page that gives straight forward answers like the one A.O. Smith has out there.

you are 100% right , and I need to get the link from you
    to that info so I can put it on my tankless info site
    please post that link for me would you ??

the two guys argueing and in each others face on my site
    can be basically about anyone here going at it
    for the past three weeks..

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/houseofhorrors/

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    You wanna go green? Get a bucket of paint. VOC free please. Cause there ain't nothing green about tankless heaters. In fact because they burn a 200,000 btu + they spew 4 to 5 times more carbon out than standard heaters.

Look at the proposed pollution limit changes for small water heaters (those with under 75,000 BTU input). That should make all water heaters much better and easier to maintain. What are the chances that no complicated electronics will be required on those old fashioned tank type water heaters that now use simple controls!

Proposed changes in California pollution requirements for small water heaters (under 75,000 BTU input)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladiesman271 View Post
    Look at the proposed pollution limit changes for small water heaters (those with under 75,000 BTU input). That should make all water heaters much better and easier to maintain. What are the chances that no complicated electronics will be required on those old fashioned tank type water heaters that now use simple controls!

Proposed changes in California pollution requirements for small water heaters (under 75,000 BTU input)
    Ummm Laddy Boy those "proposed" emission standards have already been in effect in the South Coast Air Quality Management District, SCAQMD Rule 1121 (10ng/J NOx limit).

Here is a spec sheet for one of the water heaters you question.
    http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/...eets/112-B.pdf

Any time you need a plumber to give you more depth to you shallow knowledge base... Let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by Bodrey View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation on a tankless water heater? HD sells the Aquastar, Bosch and Paloma brands. I know nothing about any of these companies, whether their products are good or bad, reliable, etc. Also, is it worth paying more to get one with a higher GPM rate? It seems they start around 3.5 gallons per minute and go up from there. I live alone but if I were ever to sell I'm wondering if a 3.5 GPM unit would be insufficient for a family. The only concern I saw from one of the user reviews is as follows...

"This has been a great heater, significantly lowering our costs, however, it only provides a 70 deg F temperature rise. In winter, our cold water is about 40deg F (5deg C) to 110F. This provides a good shower, but is not hot enough for dishes, etc.

Any advice/recommendations as far as performance, brand reliability, etc. would be appreciated.

Watch out.

The lower end tankless heaters do no control the outgoing water temperature with a thermostat. A lot of them will have a modulating burner control setting and a water volume control setting. They maintain water temperature rise based only on water flow. These low end units do not adjust for changes in incoming water temperature. The control setup has to be adjusted by season to compensate for incoming water temperature variations.

Look for a unit that clearly states that the unit has a modulating gas burner that is controlled by a thermostat that measures the outgoing water temperature. If you are interested in any specific unit, go to the manufacturers web site and read the instruction manual for the unit in question. Those manuals may be of help to you, but maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Ummm Laddy Boy those "proposed" emission standards have already been in effect in the South Coast Air Quality Management District, SCAQMD Rule 1121 (10ng/J NOx limit).

Here is a spec sheet for one of the water heaters you question.
    http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/...eets/112-B.pdf

Any time you need a plumber to give you more depth to you shallow knowledge base... Let me know...

Well since that is the only unit that you sell, then you are all set!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladiesman271 View Post
    Well since that is the only unit that you sell, then you are all set!
    Oh they have more...
    I just didn't want to overload your memory!
    Must be tough going through life with 64K of RAM.