(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burners for Making Maple Syrup

Default Burners for Making Maple Syrup

Hi,

I usually use firewood when I make Maple Syrup, but I'm thinking about using a propane fueled system. This would allow me to set up burners under my 30" by 48" stainless steel pan.
    Where can I get such burners? Can I simply use burners from a grill? Safety is very important to me.

Thanks for any replies,
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

Ya kin always do like I did n run down ta lowes an grab one a them thar whirlpool water heaters outta the dumpster...

I made a still outta one...

Makin maple strup ain't that much different.

I'm catchin what boils of an you want whats left...

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...0&postcount=27
    Hillbilly Eng-in-ear
    Moonshine Maker
    Dumb as a Stump

You could probably build something out of gas grill burners. Good time to buy up leftovers if you can find any. My guess at the simplest is just take the lid off and put them under the pan. However many it takes. Leave a way for exhaust gases to vent. If you were using wood you probably have a way. Carbon monoxide build up in a closed room is a real bad thing (you die).

I would leave some space between the grill body and the pan to avoid explosions when starting. You probably need to run a gas line to each grill's regulator. Sharing a regulator is likely to fail. They are simple devices and without knowing if they can regulate properly with additional load you should use the ones that came with each grill.

You could also probably use those infrared propane heaters or space heaters. They have some nice large rectangular ones. Have to make sure they won't turn themselves off from overheating. A salamander is probably too annoying. If electricity is cheap; you can do that.

Observe standard rational practices concerning nearby flammable materials, explosion nurturing, combustion air supply, combustion product venting, not licking the burner or adjacent metal. Make sure gas piping is properly sealed (explosion thing again).

Your results are your own responsibility; not mine.

The average 40 or 50 gallon gas water heater uses a burner that is rated at around 40,000 BTU. if you convert it over to propane it may work well for you...I am replacing a heater this week with a 76,000 BTU burner that is cast Iron I think and if you want it I can mail it to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    The average 40 or 50 gallon gas water heater uses a burner that is rated at around 40,000 BTU. if you convert it over to propane it may work well for you...I am replacing a heater this week with a 76,000 BTU burner that is cast Iron I think and if you want it I can mail it to you...
    Thanks Cass,
    I believe in taking responsibility for your own actions and the safety would be my responsibility. I appreciate your offer and would compensate you for any expenses. Do you know a ballpark figure on the propane conversion?

Thanks!
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

I have no Idea but I will get you the brand name and you can call and find out...I don't remember the brand as I have looked at to many lately. I think it was A.O.Smith but not positive...

I would use a Reznor or Modine gas unit heater. Cut off 3/4 of the heat exchanger and mount it under the kettle.

Couple of turkey fryers work?

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

mmm

a diabetic's dream come true

*homer simpson drool*
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

My stainless steel pan is about 4" deep, by 2.5 feet wide, by 4 feet long and I need heat under the entire area.
    Gore Vidal.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by molo View Post
    My stainless steel pan is about 4" deep, by 2.5 feet wide, by 4 feet long and I need heat under the entire area.
    I do not know much about gas-burner configurations, but I believe you are going to have a lot of difficulty getting the even heat you need. My boss uses wood and has recently re-worked his arch to get a better spread, and I cannot imagine how he would ever do that with burners.

Buy Log Cabin and tell everyone you made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Buy Log Cabin and tell everyone you made it.
    Isn't that one of those companies that sells maple flavored corn syrup...

http://www.vermontmaple.org/learnaboutmaplesyrup.html
    Last edited by Redwood; 01-24-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Default Maple syrup

I use a 3 burner heavy duty camp stove I bought at a yard sale. I think Cabela's sells them. They have 3 big burners in a row. I use one for a big enamel kettle and use one other to pre-heat the sap that I add to the big kettle so it keeps on boiling. It works well and if you can fashion a 3 foot by 20 inch stainless steel rectangular evaporator it would go faster.

They make gas log lighters for fireplaces. They are just a piece of 1/2" black pipe with holes drilled in it. It has a small threaded box on one end that you can adjust how much air is mixed with fuel.

If you have the tools just cut and thread some 1/2 or if it will be a long run some 3/4 black pipe and cap one end. Then drill holes the same size and spacing as the original log lighter. You will want to talk with your gas supplier about an adjustable regulator so you can get enough gas flow for you application.

You can also buy a propane version from this place. http://123grill.com/viewprd.asp?idca...dproduct=47060
    Last edited by burleymike; 02-17-2009 at 09:11 AM.