My empty Crock problem

Users who are viewing this thread

kleeker

Reaction score
I have an exterior crock for my sump pump. I have lived in this house for 3 years and have had it flood my basement 6 times. After replacing the pump and still having problems, I want to point out some basic facts and see if anyone can tell me what is wrong with the system. The home has previously had basement waterproofing done as is evidenced by the curb around the interior walls of the basement. I can find little or no evidence of seepage through the walls, all water appears to come up through the floor drain. From the floor drain, following the pipe straight out of the house, 3 foot from the foundation, is the crock with the operating sump pump. The pump cycles every 5 minutes for about 20 or 30 seconds and pumps all the water out of the crock. The problem is that the crock does not refill as fast as the water is brought to it, and the excess is stored in my basement. We have had a midwinter thaw here in Michigan and there is an abundance of water. I have shoved a water hose down the floor drain with a sprayer attachment to attempt to ream out potential debris from the line, but I could not make the hose appear in the crock. Why not?
Why doesn't the crock fill immediately and pump the entire basement before shutting off? Should i install a new crock inside my basement for a better system?
Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
crock

YOur problem is NOT the crock. IT is the piping to the crock AND/OR how it is installed. We cannot tell how it was done and therefore cannot tell you how to cure it, if it is possible to cure it without major revision of the piping. A plumber coming to your house MIGHT be able to analyze it, but since the piping is hidden under the floor, even that might not work.

kleeker

Reaction score
Thank you.

Thanks, I did not mean to imply there was something wrong with the crock itself. I do believe it is with the piping going to it. Do you believe it is most likely debris or a crushed tile or a design issue?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might try a drain snake. Exterior crocks would seem to be problematic in areas where things could freeze. Could the blockage be ice? You could find a plumber that had a camera - it would allow him to view the pipe and he could locate the blockage. If it is clogged with sand and gravel, you might have luck with a pressure washer and do some hydro-mining. Wear protective equipment...it can get messy. The waterproofing people may have broken the pipe, or it wasn't installed well and either collapsed or broken. The camera may be the best choice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
crock

Do you believe it is most likely debris or a crushed tile or a design issue?

Yes, but unfortunately, ALL of those could cause the problem and each requires a different solution, if a solution is even possible.
progress.gif

kleeker

Reaction score
Thank you all!

Sorry, I was down for a few weeks without a computer. (no, it didn't get wet) Thank you all for your input, it is what I eventually came to also. temporarily I have solved the freezing problem with the sump's output, but eventually will have to dig when the weather is warm and dry.
Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks