toilet bowl losing h2o

Users who are viewing this thread

parvinr

Reaction score
i have a single story home with 1&1/2 bath rooms my house has a crawl space in the half bath the toilet seems to lose water from the bowl not all of the water but after marking the inside of the bowl there was about a 1 to 2 inch loss of water there is no water on the floor around the toilet and there is also no signs of leaking water from under the house we have cleaned the vent for this toilet the only thihg i have not done is the closet auger thing down through the toilet itself thanks in advance for any advise

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Usually an internal crack or flaw which is not repairable. IT is also usually not detected until after the toilet tank is repaired so it is not constantly leaking water.

parvinr

Reaction score
just an update on this the toilet is about 2yrs old and really didnt use this toilet much but here recently we ahve used it more sice the second child come along and sicne then you can flush the toilet and when the bowl fills in looks suficant but in morning when i get up water level in the bowl is lower so my first thoughts was an internal crack since everything looked good as was reported in my first post

Lorenasa

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having a similar problem. I have a 2 1/2 bath house with only one upstairs toilet. When we go away on vacation and return two weeks later the upstairs toilet bowl will be completely dry. With normal use it is not noticeable that the bowl is losing water. I have a home warranty so I called them to take care of this, but since they see no water damage they say they can do nothing about it. I am concerned that the water is going somewhere. Could I be lucky and it is just going down the drain, or should I be concerned with this? I do not want to end up with damaged floors. Is it so slow I do not need to worry?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd worry (at least a little)!

While you'll lose a little water over time, and if that time is long enough, all of it, to evaporation, unless you lived in the dry desert and the house got extremely hot while away, I doubt you'd evaporate all of the water in a typical toilet, especially if the seat cover was left down.

I'd consider removing the toilet, setting it on something sturdy, and filling the bowl. Then, wait to look underneath to see if anywhere is wet.

I'd also use this opportunity to check the subflooring underneath where the toilet was installed.

The only cost, if you do this yourself, would be a new wax ring to reset the toilet (a couple of bucks).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks