I have the following setup

Well -- 1 1/4 Black Poly -- CSV1-60 -- TEE ----- V250 85 Gal Tank
|--- Irrigation

irrigation if off now so its not playing a role

I put in the new pump and when I first turned it on some dirt and sand came up

In my tub the water was brown and collected some dirt in the TB

Now when I show the FLOW is very low seems ok at first but gets lower

when I first installed the pump I did see it cycle a few times

Could I have dirt in the CSV messing it up?

Pressure switch is set @ 50/70 and tank should have 48 lbs, I h ave not verified it since I set it but pressure and flow was fine before I swapped the pump.

Pressure switch is new as is the control box swapped them out few months back

Any ideas?

Thanks
George

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
The pump you installed. Was it made to pump pressure or volume?
The new pump may be a high volume pump, and is having a hard time trying to keep up the pressure you need.

What size/hp and gpm is the pump?

Lots of times, when a new pump is installed/replaced, it can make a little dirty water for a bit. It should clear up pretty quick. When a well is pulled and replaced, it's kinda like plunging the well.

Travis

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Dirt will go right through the CSV but, rocks or tape will stop it up. If the pump is cycling between 50 and 70, you should have lots of pressure. Do you have a filter or something else the dirt could have stopped up?

GMrules

Reaction score
Nope

I spoke to your wife the other day, I want to say thks you guys are so nice, she gave me your cell but I feel bad to call you.

I did what she suggested, I went to the well head and opened the hose bid there and at first was slow as my CSV is in the crawl and this value is before the CSV as she said would be then after minute or so the pump kicked in, it looked like a good amount of water, I have no way to tell if its the 18 20 GPM we expect. It has one of those brass things that suppose to keep the hose from sucking back.

I then charged the irrigation up as it was drained for the winter and it looked normal was at night so could not tell 100% but then I had irrigation running the zone furthest from the pump & crawl and connected a hose to the boiler drain at my tank Tee and with both running I saw the pressure go from 60 to 50. I would expect that that would be full load on the pump still had pretty good flow from the hose on the tank tee value

How can I tell if I have flow vs pressure. Am I wrong to say we could have 60 PSi from csv but something still blocking it impeading the flow?

I am going to do the tests again today measuring the amps it was late and could not do the amp measurements.

is it possible I some restriction just in the house I know my tank less hw gets the build up in it and I am going to run the vinegar thought it today

I also sent note to gooulds with the sn of the pump to confirm its 18gs I know its 1 1/2 motor for sure

is it possible for something to be blocking the csv adn allow it to build the 60 psi and still impead the flow?

I really appreciate your help and will let you know what I find oout today

I really really appreciate your help

George

GMrules

Reaction score
Removed CSV as test

OK

here is what I did today, I removed the CSV so to eliminate it as a point of contention, Pressure switch still on 50/70 48 lbs in tank

Before I removed it I did this as a test, Opened my boiler drain on Tank Tee to 3/4 inch hose Pressure out of the hose was very good and the pump ran at 11.6- 11.8 amps

I thought 18GS15412 should run at 9.8 on yellow & blk but I get 11.6-.8

as i closed the value and pressure was build and csv kicked in amps went down

then I opened a large zone on irrigation and pressure fell to 50-55 I guess that zone is too big for my pump and the amps where same

I then removed CSV and opened the zone and pressue was same 50-55 no pump cycle then I opened a smaller zone and yes the pump began to cycle as we expected with CSV yesterday no cycle on same zone

BUT w/o CSV show head pressure is better back semi normal I will be in the shower i a few for more details but I asked my son who yesterday said his upstairs show had no pressure was normal no w/o csv

so I am confused, and YES no rock no tape nothing blocking csv when I removed it.

Not sure what all this means but thats what I got

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You need to check the pressure gauge while the shower is running. If it is holding 60 PSI steady, then you should also have 60 PSI strong in the shower. Have you checked the shower head itself? With all the plumbing and replumbing you may just have crud in the shower head. 11.9 amps is max for a 1.5 HP. Just check amps on one of the two incoming power wires. Anytime the pressure is below 60, the CSV is just a piece of pipe, and the pressure and flow you get are a factor of how much the pump can deliver. CSV or not, 50 to 70 is a lot of pressure and you should have good pressure in the house. If the gauge is reading between 50 and 70, you must have a restriction in the house. Shower head, shower valve itself, filter you haven't found, or something else must be clogged. You seem to have good pressure at the gauge, just losing it before it gets to the shower head. Removing the CSV will let the shower pressure build up to 70 but, it should cycle off and then drop to 50, where you should have low pressure in the shower. If you don't have low pressure in the shower when the gauge reads 50, then I am at a loss as to what the problem is. We are probably missing something simple. Still be glad to hear from you if you would like to call me.

GMrules

Reaction score
I do have tank less hw i have to the build up in their I have to run vinegar through it, i know that causes restriction on hot side

maybe this is my issue i seem to be ok on the cold side and I do have one bad cartridge in my shower its a Grohe Shower Value and and get NO hot from it

bathroom had hot in sinks & tub but not shower must be bad cartridge

I was going to run hot vinagar through the Nortiz hw heater can I use straight CLR or do I have to cut it?

I think this is my hit water issues I have all the whit crap on the shower head and the hot on my tub is MUCH less than my cold

I am beginning think its just hw issue and caused by the calcium build up

thoughts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks