Thought I had it licked . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

waxgroove

Reaction score
Last summer I moved into a 10 year old townhouse.

Several months ago I discovered the house pressure was about 100 psi. Had the PRV replaced. This week had the expansion tank replaced as it had filled with water.

During this time I replaced the kitchen faucet. Everything was fine for about a month then it seemed to "spit" once, very short about 3 seconds after turning on. Sent faucet back to PF and they sent a new one. Same thing.

This week when the expansion tank was replaced I thought the problem was gone as it was fine - at least for about 8 hours then the "spit" returned. This time not as bad - and again very short and about 3 seconds after turning on.

House pressure is 60 psi - expansion tank matches at 60 psi.

The WH (gas Bradford White) T&P valve "weeps" after using hot water - but the floor dries shortly thereafter, i.e. the valve isn't constantly weeping.

Is it normal for a T&P to "weep" after hot water use? I hate to touch something that isn't broken - but also believe in preventative maintenance.

Since the valve is "weeping" daily is it possible air is getting in causing the kitchen faucet to spit?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Weeping is not normal...it is weeping because the temp is getting to high and it is opening or it is just in need of replacement...get a thermometer and check the temp of the hot water or do you know that it is very hot.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be a defective T/P valve. You could just replace it and see if that cures the problem. T/P valves are cheap and easy to replace, so I would suggest that before messing with any other component, especially since the PRV and thermal expansion tank have recently been replaced.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spit

The relief valve opening to allow a small amount of water to drain AND the faucet spitting for a few seconds both indicate an abnormally high initial pressure, but from here we cannot tell you why it is happening.

waxgroove

Reaction score
Thanks -

I'm planning to replace the T&P tonight. Will check pressure on WH with gage.

The water doesn't feel too hot - but I have turned it down as the previous owners had it cranked up.

Thanks for your help - I'll post results.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
t&p

Why not wait until you find out if the T&P is even defective before changing it? It could be doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to do, namely relieve excessive pressure. IF that is the case the only two things that will prevent it from happening, even with a new valve would be to either do whatever is necessary to reduce the pressure, or put a plug in the T&P valve, which might then eliminate all your problems because you might not have a water heater or house left. Incidently, the house in Phoenix where that was done, has been leveled off and the insurance company refused the claim because of tampering with the safety valve.

tp_2.jpg

T&P Valve looking at two sides.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that to check the air pressure in an expansion tank, you must first turn off the water supply, then open a faucet to relieve any water pressure; otherwise, you'd always measure the same air pressure in the tank as the water pressure.

waxgroove

Reaction score
Status -

OK - to start with I'm confident none of the previous owners touched this water heater.

So - I figured the T&P was defective as it "weeped" everytime hot water was used plus I couldn't budge the lever on the WH and I was concerned about the T&P as its an important part of the system.

Tonight I replaced the T&P - the one I took out was packed full of calcium (I believe) on the inside. When attempting to drain the WH nothing would come out - I had to slowly turn on the cold water on and off to force water out. I attempted to drain about 10 gallons (enough to remove the plug) but water still came out the plug.

I replaced the T&P because it was "weeping" and from what I read here that's not normal and since the PRV and expansion tank are new I figured T&P was next. I plan to have this WH replaced soon as its about 11 years old and based on what I saw inside the T&P valve I'm suprised its still working (Bradford White must make a good heater).

I didn't realize you had to shut water off and open a faucet to check the tank - thanks. When the plumber comes to do the WH I'll have him check all that out again.

Hopefully this repair will hold me until its replaced.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks