When is white not white.

Users who are viewing this thread

OldRadio99

Reaction score
In the midst of planning for a bathroom remodel.

Decided on a white MAAX Topaz whirlpool but was advised by a salesrep to be careful on buying a toilet. He said, as an example, American Standard white is not the same as MAAX white. But Kohler was a closer match.

Terry, how do you mix and match? Based on reviews here, I am thinking of a Toto Drake. However I would prefer a chair height round bowl. Are any of the Drake's round and tall? Model #?

Advice from anyone welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only Toto that is chair height and round is the CST733F Dalton.

The Cotton White then.

There are few toilets that have that combination
Most tall bowls are elongated.

cotboll.jpg

Cotton White

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless there is a compelling reason, I would suggest you reconsider the round toilet and go with the elongated model. These are much more "male friendly."

OldRadio99

Reaction score
The only Toto that is chair height and round is the CST733F Dalton.

The Cotton White then.

There are few toilets that have that combination
Most tall bowls are elongated.

So if I go elongated to be "male friendly" as was suggested, is the Drake still the best? I noticed that that thread started back in '06.

And Cotton White more closely matches MAAX's white?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As far a performance is concerned, I know of no difference between the round bowl and the elongated bowl. It is strictly a matter of comfort. I can't provide you with any factual data regarding your color question, but it is my opinion that while there may be some subtle differences from one manufacturer's brand of white to another, any difference will never be noticed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
color

Not only are different company's whites different, but the material the white is applied to will change it. So will the plane of the surface. A vertical surface will look different than a horizontal one, and then add in the shadows and it becomes very difficult to compare colors. Years ago one company made a green that looked blue, until you placed it next to a blue fixture.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
As far a performance is concerned, I know of no difference between the round bowl and the elongated bowl. It is strictly a matter of comfort. I can't provide you with any factual data regarding your color question, but it is my opinion that while there may be some subtle differences from one manufacturer's brand of white to another, any difference will never be noticed.

Actually if you check the Map test on toilets mostly all have a difference from Elongated to Round front and Handicapped vervus regular height.

CST743E Round front 500 map
CST744E Elongated Front 600 map
CST744EL ADA Elonagted 900 map

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
In the midst of planning for a bathroom remodel.

Decided on a white MAAX Topaz whirlpool but was advised by a salesrep to be careful on buying a toilet. He said, as an example, American Standard white is not the same as MAAX white. But Kohler was a closer match.

Terry, how do you mix and match? Based on reviews here, I am thinking of a Toto Drake. However I would prefer a chair height round bowl. Are any of the Drake's round and tall? Model #?

Advice from anyone welcome.

Thanks

Philco (old radio),
In the bathroom I just redid, I have all white fixtures by 3 different companies, made from 2 different materials.

We have an Americh solid acrylic shower base, a Kohler San Raphael toilet and an American Standard Hexalyn sink, both porcelain.

As long as you go with each companies 'white' white, you really won't have a situation where the difference is going to be seen, unless you're putting the toilet into the tub for specialty seating.

Seriously, and the point made by HJ regarding different materials is perfectly demonstrated on just about any toilet and the various brands/types of seats made for them out of plastic or enameled wood, etc.

HE

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
color

A more poignant comparison would be a cast iron tub, a china toilet, with an acrylic lavatory between them. all would look the same until they were placed in the bathtub with the sink next to the toilet.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Funny we had a problem with LT930 Lloyd sinks.
2 were Colonial White in a Cotton white box.
I had the color chips from Toto and we took out the sinks in the showroom and couldn't tell the difference, we then took them to the warehouse and still couldn't see a difference we had to finally take them outside in the sunlight and finally could see the difference in the color chips and they were right on top of the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks