Electric Meter

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
The mechanical meters tend to slow down with time and therefore customers tend to see there bills go up after replacement.

I don't see making the meters more accurate as a bad thing since it does not actually increase the price consumers pay. This is because of what's called the "pool". If all the meters were slow it would just cause the price per KWh increase until the difference was made up.

I am guessing that the centron meter can measure loads down to about 1 watt.
200 amps / 16,384(14 bits) = .012 amps
.012 amps * 120V = 1.4 watts

Eventually we will get TOU(Time of use) meters and that will make things both more confusing and also better for renewable energy.

Lets just hope the power company does not take a que from the phone company.
Sarcasm-> "on the x plan you get x price for the first x Kwh's unless it's a night or a weekend... :rolleyes:

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
That would be my guess. The mechanical nature of the device can probably be compared to a flywheel, the end result being a smoothing of the load as seen by the measuring mechanism -- geared dials, usually. The end consumer will win some/lose some, but I have no idea how it would net out. Depending on the sampling interval of the electronic meter, it could be as accurate as desired, which would certainly be fair, but may result in an increase or decrease in charges, based on the nature of the load and the characteristics of the mechanical meter. Judging from Itron's sales pitch, I'd be surprised if it were a decrease.

Actually both average out current variations so they aren't affected much by the current wave shapes.

The mechanical disk averages the impulse energy so that a short high current pulse pushes it just as hard as a long low current pulse.

The electronic unit uses a low pass filter to prevent frequency below the Nyquist frequency. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_frequency

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Eventually we will get TOU(Time of use) meters and that will make things both more confusing and also better for renewable energy.

TECO is touting a new "RSVP" (Residential Service Variable Pricing) plan, which replaces their old time-of-day service plan. It divides the day into 4 pricing periods. P1 thru P3 are defined in a complicated schedule which changes between summer & winter, with rates from $0.03719 to $0.17839 per kWh ("standard" rates are now $0.07331 (up to 1000 kWh) and $0.08331 (over 1000 kWh). P4 is a "critical" period, which they can apparently define on the fly, at $0.65377 per kWh. P4 can only be invoked a maximum of 134 hours per year.

It looks like, with intelligent use of a humongous battery bank, you might be able to move your utility consumption to P1 to charge the batteries, and use battery power during P3 and P4 (if it's ever invoked). If my figures are right, you could save a minimum of $0.03612 per kWh, or about $520/year for 1200 kWh per month. It's probably not enough to pay for the batteries, chargers, switches, and controls over time, but it's fun to think about. You might be able to combine it with a solar array to grab some tax credits. I was told they wouldn't allow that tactic under the old time-of-day plan, but haven't asked about RSVP policy; I doubt it's changed.

Last edited:

Nate R

Reaction score
I do know that the water dept is slowly replacing all of the old water meters in the city. The new ones, don't require the reader to get out of their vehicles to read them or to find out if they've been tampered with. I wonder how long before water, gas and electric meters are controlled from a central station like cable TV is now doing....

Our local utilities are working towards that route. At my house, Water, Gas and Electric all are automatically read. I never see a meter reader, and my usage is always actual. I like knowing it's not an estimate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks