Dropped well pipe..need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

curtinmass

Reaction score
Father inlaw was removing pump from well,had 20ft sections of 1 and 1/4 galv pipe.He got out 100ft when he lost it back down well.When we took over home i found blockage down 65 feet,ran video down but couldnt make out to much silt,did end up removing a bunch of balled up wire and now down to 100 ft mark which im hoping is pipe now.wasnt able to send video back down as i needed water as shallow well was running real low.It was 20 years ago when he lost pipe and we have been here a few years..looking for any advice on how to remove pipe.Talked to few well companies without much hope or help.Ive got new pump down 100ft but not enough water to run washer.Also he seems to think previous owner had told him well was 480 ft deep..not a found fact at this point though.Any help greatly appreciated and im in Massachusetts if anyone knows a company that will help.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know any Well Companies out there. You would be ahead of the game if you knew what you were fishing for. Like a 1-1/4" male or female thread or a broken off thread etc. Likely a taper tap will be the method used to retrieve the pipe.

bob...

curtinmass

Reaction score
plan to

run video setup back down once all this darn snow is gone to see if i can determine what is there,just not sure how i would attach anything to existing pipe,someone suggested a steel flat ring to try around pipe to snag and upward pulling would keep ring in place..just not sure

Speedbump

Reaction score
There are the right ways and the wrong ways. Snagging a pipe is the wrong way. If you did go down with a taper tap like I suggested you should also have a set of jars above it. They allow you to bang up and down in case things get stuck or are hard to loosen up. Not all Drillers have fishing tools or know how to fish for things for that matter, so shop carefully. His rig should also have a walking beam.

bob...

curtinmass

Reaction score
Thanks Speedbump...kinda hopin to find a pro to help out..if i keep askin questions someone will finally show up to help me..appreciate your info..gonna jot it down so i make sure its done right

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Sammyhydro11 is right!

If nothing broke like the threads on the drop pipe it should be easy to connect back onto. The problem may be pulling it when you get attached to it because any remaining wire or rope may or may not bind at the top of the pump making it hard to pull out.

Today we use a down hole camera, however we used to pound some Proctor and Gamble Soap in the end of a 6" long piece of 3 or 4 inch steel pipe then reduce the top end of the pipe to 1" or 1-1/4" pipe. Run it on 1" or 1-1/4" pipe to the dropped piece then lower it slowly to take an imprint of what's sticking up. Then remove it carefully and see what the imprint looks like. Then you have an idea of what you are fishing for.

Fishing for dropped pumps and etc. in a well is a skill and an art.

Good Luck!

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
From what I have read here, an overshot tool would be used.

It consist of a 2.5" pipe with a tapered threaded rod on the inside.
With this, it doesn't matter if the dropped pipe has been broken or have male or female threads pointed up.

It's dropped over the pipe, and screwed down until it gets tight. When it is pulled up, hopefully there will be a pump on the end.

Like has already been stated. The wire may cause a wedge at the pump as it is pulled up.

Take your time. Good luck

Travis

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

The real old timers used a Model A, (or model T), drive shaft which was tapered like a long funnel. They dropped it down over the pipe and it wedged itself to the broken pipe. Then they pulled it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks