(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Loud clunk when humidifier turns off

Default Loud clunk when humidifier turns off

Recently I had a humidifier repaired, it needed a new solenoid. The humidifier never worked since we moved in but now that it is working, anytime it shuts off there is a loud clunk that can be heard around the house.

When I stand in front of the humidifier it doesnt sound as loud as I would have expected, seems like its coming from inside the pipes? Not sure how to describe it

Is this normal or is there something I can do or adjust?
    Last edited by rschmitty; 02-16-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: fixed 'not that its working' to 'now that its working'

[QUOTE=rschmitty;185027]Recently I had a humidifier repaired, it needed a new solenoid. The humidifier never worked since we moved in but not that it is working, anytime it shuts off there is a loud clunk that can be heard around the house.

__________________________________________________ __________
    ...."but not that its working."
    Huh!! is this a typo or is it working or not?
    can't make any sense out of the question

oops.. 'now that its working'

sorry

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You may need to add a water hammer arrestor in-line. Solonoid valves open and close quickly. Opening isn't usually an issue, but closing can be - water has inertia...and it wants to keep moving. It will have to stop quickly when the valve closes, and this can cause things to move.

A hammer arrestor has a piston and a sealed air chamber or an air bladder (depends on the type). It needs to be installed close to the offending valve. But, it will be a long-term solution that should fix the problem. Sioux City, Watts, and others make them. They aren't particularly expensive ($10 or so), and should solve your problem, but they do require installation.

Last edited by Terry; 02-22-2009 at 09:12 AM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014