(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watts Floodsafe? Not Very! part 1

After reading this thread, I immediately went and bought new hoses for both my washing machines today. $40 bucks for new hoses vs 40k in damage.. A no brainer. Thanks for posting this

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Schloss View Post
    new hoses for both my washing machines
    I got the type with the steel braided sleeve.

I'll have to ask my insurance company how many broken hose/pipe cases they get per year out of how many policyholders. I've never had any breaks of this kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    I got the type with the steel braided sleeve.

I'll have to ask my insurance company how many broken hose/pipe cases they get per year out of how many policyholders. I've never had any breaks of this kind.
    Yeah I got the steel braded sleeve ones but these have a plastic coating overtop the braiding. I have motorcycle cables like this for my brake lines. Hopefully they will last for a while. I was thinking of keeping the floodsafe ones incase there was ever a recall on them, maybe I could recoop some money.. Probably not though.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Schloss View Post
    After reading this thread, I immediately went and bought new hoses for both my washing machines today. $40 bucks for new hoses vs 40k in damage.. A no brainer. Thanks for posting this
    And send them to Watts for a refund, and mention that the CEO should get 100 lashes with them, valves attached.

His punishment should be inspecting the factory for a month in China, one bowl of rice daily. Sleep on a bamboo mat.

I'll just bet the new lines would not blow out.

Actually there was a problem with the quality of refrigerators in China, so they shot the manager. It's SOP.
    He did not survive being shot. High powered rifles have that reputation.

If the family wants the body they need to reimburse the government for the bullet: 8 cents.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Lets put that in the NPC for bad supply lines. Bullets are cheaper here too, so no chance for stray bodys lying around.

No killing needed if we all used water rated SS water heater type flex lines for all our fixtures.

http://www.buy.com/prod/petra-20-313.../90142927.html
    Last edited by ballvalve; 12-15-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Default Exact Same Failure with WATTS

My friend and I just purchased a condo near Disney. We put in all new hardwood floors, furniture, paint, appliances, and electronics. His Dad installed the dishwasher line and decided to spend the few extra bucks to be safe and buy the floodsafe line from WATTS. I wish we had found this thread beforehand.

3 days after they left and after running the dishwasher several times, the line blew and ran for who knows how long flooding ours and our new neighbors below. It is the exact same issue as the other posts. It failed in the same place in the same manor. I could post pictures but my files are too large and I'm too lazy to resize. We even called in two plumbers to attest that it was installed properly and was a failure of the line not the installer.

I would like to talk to anyone else that his has happened to and understand what ever became of it, who covered the claim, etc. We have a claim in with WATTS right now. I'm a little concerned now about resolution based on what I've read. Please reply to this post or try email at d g a four two zero at hotmail.

Or post if you need to rent a place near Disney. We have a lot of unforeseen expenses to make up for.

I just bought a new washer and dryer. I had fairly new Watt's Flood safe hoses on the old washer. I decided I'd just use them over. When I changed them over to the new washer the hot side hose began to leak right where the original poster has shown in his picture. I threw them in the trash along with the one I had on a toilet supply.....

I remember thinking what a great idea these hoses are!! In theory yes, in actual use NO......

More modern junk made offshore and it's dumped on us at the big box stores and pretty much every where else.....

I'm glad to hear that more people are finding out about this defective product...
    I'm just sorry to hear that it is after the leak instead of before going to the big orange box where you have to go out of your way to avoid buying them....

DIY Junior Member Thomas Morris's Avatar

I have found a product called Flood Free Zone that has a remote control to shut off the water to the house to prevent all of the flooding to the house or anyother building that water damage could cause damage by busted water pipes of any sorts.
    for more information visit www.floodfreezone.com

Who gets stuck with the repair bill depends on who has the best attorney. The manufacturer will only guarantee the Floodsafe supply line, (they will replace the bad one with a new one), and rejects any claims for labor and consequential damages.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Omg! Ty for posting this! I went to look and sure enough, that what's under my sink. I'm calling the plumber now!

The "obsession" is because the manufacturer ONLY warranties the product, NOT any labor or "consequential" damages. If it breaks they will give you a new one just like the one that broke.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I was just jumping on this forum to lambaste Watts Floodsafe valve on my Toto toilet that I installed exactly 2 years ago. My angle valve cracked this morning and after replacing it with a new valve I re-attached the toilet floodsafe line and slooooowwwly turned the water back on and it was streaming water like crazy from the plastic connection to the toilet. After loosening and re-tightening that connection 4-5 times, I finally got fed-up and figured I would replace the Floodsafe line and also tell HD that I think it stinks that the line failed in 2 years. Well imagine my surprise when I discovered HD no longer carries Floodsafe by Watts. I jumped on this forum and now feel lucky that the only damage I walked away with is buying a new braided connector and a few damp towels. I'll be replacing the other Floodsafe toilet hose tomorrow. I thought it was such a good idea. Bummer.

And for what it is worth, I try to buy "made in USA" whenever it is available-even if it is more expensive. In fact this morning, my local building supply- Tague Lumber in Media, PA; only had 1 angle valve brand and it was made in China. So I drove to Weinstein Plumbing Supply in Broomall, Pa. for a BrassCraft made in the USA angle valve. But regarding braided connector hoses, I haven't sourced any not made in China.

Thanks all! I learn something new everytime I search this forum. I refer to you all as "my plumbing gurus".