faucet replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

davebridges

Reaction score
I am trying to replace a kitchen faucet (kohler) but it appears to be attached with a round nut (not rounded, it appears to be made to be round). I tried a basin wrench but it wouldnt grab onto anything. Do i have to cut it off?

davebridges

Reaction score
not that i can see... unless they were taken off... its smooth the whole way around. It dosent really look like a nut, more like a metal cylindar over a bolt

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

We would need a picture, because I have never seen a faucet attached with anything other than something a socket or basin wrench could remove.

basin-wrench-ridgid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff1

Reaction score
I saw something like that once. It was a long nut with a slot at the end for a screwdriver. It took me a long time to see that slot.

davebridges

Reaction score
Picture

Here is a picture. I don't think there is a slot for a screwdriver, it looks just like the bolt is going straight through

img_2599.jpg

davebridges

Reaction score
ahhh geeze i never even noticed that... ill try to pop that little guy off. thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That whole cylinder might be threaded. It looks like it is clamping the horseshoe shaped piece to the bottom of the sink, holding it in place. Grohe uses a similarly shaped clamp, but they use a hex shaped shaft that you can actually remove later on...good going Kohler. Every time I see one of their products, I wonder why they are still popular...they've been living off their good name for a long while, in my opinion.

davebridges

Reaction score
so what would you recommend for removal. do i just need to cut through the upper part of that bolt?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nut

It appears that there is some of the hex left so you might be able to use a socket on it. Otherwise, I would bend the water lines back and forth until they break off, the use a small Channelock pliers to unscrew it.

davebridges

Reaction score
thanks all, i ended up using a hacksaw and chopping it off above the cylindar. everything else just popped right off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks