(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Basement Design Software

Arrow Basement Design Software

Hey Guys, a newbie here. I have gone through some of the discussion threads and I have found them to be very useful. So I have decided to sign up and draw on the knowledge people here have. So here goes my first question...

Is there a free software out there that I could use to do a rough layout of my basement. I do not need anything very elaborate but something basic that I could use for a floor plan and put measurements on.

Thanks

I like sketchup. A lot. Free, intuitive to learn, and 3-D,

http://sketchup.google.com/
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Default drawing

How about a pencil, ruler, square, and a sheet of paper. About as basic as you can get for a basic design.

I agree with hj. You don't need any software for a basement remodel. You can lay it out on paper or actually put down rope or spray paint the actual floors to get a feel of layout.
    Gabe

Don't follow my advice, I only know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Sometimes learning how the software works takes longer then actually laying it out on paper
    I just take measurements & draw it out on paper fro simple stuff
    For more in depth stuff I have 3 different software programs - but not free. One is better for floor plans, another better for kitchen design
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

HJ, GabeS, stop being a pair of old fogies , we are in the digital age, get with it guys.

I do agree a pencil squares and other old school drafting tools work fine. I was so p***ed that a contractor would not let me bid a job unless I had a full working legit version of Auto Cad. I did eventually get a legit version from my friends at Auto Desk for a song and a dance and being a beta tester. But heck what about the poor guys out there that can not lay down them kind of big bucks.

Default Computer vs paper

Having a computer when diagramming definitely helps. When I did my kitchen, I laid out everything as it was, then started playing around with designs. This helped me figure out what was achievable and not. You can see the process I went through at http://www.thegoodrumfamily.com/ayrlee.kitchen and you can see that using a computer vs paper has many benefits.