(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extension cord for treadmill, ok?

The reason the codes are the way they are so no wall space is greater than 6foot from a rec. and no counter space is greater than 2' from a rec is to not to have to use extension cords. Extension cords used to be close to #1 on the list of reasons for house fires.

Anyone may use them at any time we are not going to police your home to see that you are not using them.

However the codes have been written over many years and come from many years of experience. We do not always understand certain ones, however in the past there was a problem. REMEMBER THE CODES ARE A MINIMUM.

Will you ever have a problem with what you are going to do. Maybe maybe not. Just be willing to accept the responsibility that comes with your decision.
    If you base your decision on bad info or good info its still your decision and you are the one responsible for it.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

I think one issue is that appliances, lights etc are all being made with shorter cords now to save Mfg $$. So while the "within" 6' rule used to work - in real life it no longer works all that great
    One reason I put all my outlets much closer

And many Mfg warning labels & information are geared MORE to possible lawsuits & deniability in case of a problem then anything else
    Some are written by people who have no clue what the code is or requires
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
    I think one issue is that appliances, lights etc are all being made with shorter cords now to save Mfg $$. So while the "within" 6' rule used to work - in real life it no longer works all that greatOne reason I put all my outlets much closerAnd many Mfg warning labels & information are geared MORE to possible lawsuits & deniability in case of a problem then anything elseSome are written by people who have no clue what the code is or requires
    1St* Possible however Code is the Minimum.2nd* Yes this could be true. Many people are quick to sue. Wanting to get the quick buck. Ever wondered why a ladder has the warning not to stand on or above this step, And why Mickey D's has a warning label on their coffee?Though if you follow the UL listing and Mfg instructions it will keep you out of most problems.Also with my profession I have to tell you the Code and Legal jargon. If I did not I would not be living up to my Oath as an Officer of the Courts.Have a wonderful evening!*

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Well I asked the man who was mowing the right of way down the street and he said do what ever you want to do cause that is what you are going to do to start with.

Now if anybody knows what they are talking about it would be him.

Quote Originally Posted by codeone View Post
    1St* Possible however Code is the Minimum.2nd* Yes this could be true. Many people are quick to sue. Wanting to get the quick buck. Ever wondered why a ladder has the warning not to stand on or above this step, And why Mickey D's has a warning label on their coffee?*
    One ladder company (all?) had to modify "place on firm ground" to "each & every time you use it" as one homeowner placed the ladder on frozen ground. Then came back to use the ladder again & the ground had thawed & they fell. Homeowner sued & the frontal lobotomied jury found in HO's favor
    Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 02-10-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: clarity

Default ?

quotes;
    What makes you think it will be plugged and unplugged more often with a cord than if it were directly into the socket. The reason for not recommending an extension cord is that some unenlightened people consider ALL cords equal as long as a device can plug into them, and has nothing to do with loss of tension and impedence.May have something to do what what was said here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmichaeljmoore
    When the treadmill is not in use, it will be unplugged....so there are no issues of someone falling over the cord....

I believe I covered that when I asked why a cord would have more problems than the machines plug, since they would be inserted the same number of times, regardless of how the receptacle was accessed.

i

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
    One ladder company (all?) had to modify "place on firm ground" to "each & every time you use it" as one homeowner placed the ladder on frozen ground. Then came back to use the again & the ground had frozen & they fell. Homeowner sued & the frontal lobotomied jury found in HO's favor
    Ah yes no real justice in mans world! Try to protect yourself as best you can, no true justice. I once read " Man rules man to his injury" Clear case!

Sad but true.

We need the higher goverment to step in as promised.

Also it proves there can be problems when you dont follow the MFG instructions and the UL listing.

Just because a fancy Lawyer can bedazle a group of jurors is not a reason to do things you are warned aganist.

Besides that the Lawyer probably got most of the reward from that jury!

DIY Senior Member mrmichaeljmoore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    That should be OK...but find the rating plate on the treadmill that gives all the electrical specs and post what it says on there...
    According to the tag, here are the specs for the treadmill:

120V
    60Hz
    13A

if you need more info, let me know.

thanks.
    mike

If you go by the 80% rule you need a 20A dedicated circuit for best results for this appliance.

DIY Senior Member mrmichaeljmoore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by codeone View Post
    If you go by the 80% rule you need a 20A dedicated circuit for best results for this appliance.
    I plug it into the washing machine outlet. It has its own 20a circuit breaker.
    Obivously, I use it when the washing machine is NOT in use....and I also unplug the washing machine plug.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmichaeljmoore View Post
    I plug it into the washing machine outlet. It has its own 20a circuit breaker.
    Obivously, I use it when the washing machine is NOT in use....and I also unplug the washing machine plug.
    I am not saying the circuit you are using is not adaquate for either of your appliances. I must remind youin my profession I am required to give you the legal side of the issue. I'm not judging your choice of how to accomplish what you want to do. I also must remind you that you are violating code issues if you choose to use the extension cord. Im not condeming you at all. Weather you chose to do it one way or the other is your choice, just in my profession I personally cannot give approval. I have done my duty its your personal decision. Again I do not condem or think any less of you. You are a fine person because you are concerned with your safety and the safety of your family. I Applaud You.

Codeone, I have to ask you another question. My Sony DVD recorder's instruction manual says (surprise, surprise) to use Sony blank DVDs when I record. Am I operating it in violation of the NEC, and your local laws based on it, if I use, say, TDK blanks?

Bikes are good.

Last edited by Cookie; 02-10-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TedL View Post
    Codeone, I have to ask you another question. My Sony DVD recorder's instruction manual says (surprise, surprise) to use Sony blank DVDs when I record. Am I operating it in violation of the NEC, and your local laws based on it, if I use, say, TDK blanks?
    You think the NEC dictates what type of blank DVD you use?
    Seriously ???