(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Extension cord for treadmill, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
    You think the NEC dictates what type of blank DVD you use?
    Seriously ???
    I'm just asking..........
    It's manufacturer's operating instructions, which it seems the NEC requires us to observe....just like the instructions for the treadmill.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

I've yet to see a DVD writer burn down a house from using the wrong blank
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Quote Originally Posted by TedL View Post
    Codeone, I have to ask you another question. My Sony DVD recorder's instruction manual says (surprise, surprise) to use Sony blank DVDs when I record. Am I operating it in violation of the NEC, and your local laws based on it, if I use, say, TDK blanks?
    You are not talking about a code issue here. This has nothing to do with Building,Electrical,Plumbing,Mechanical or Gas Piping or Fire Codes.

The issue with the Extension Cord does!

Again look at my previous post. I did not condem him if he wanted to use the cord. He still has to take responsibility for his actions if something does go wrong, just as you do for yours.

And who knows with the way electronics are they could code something in there to make the TDK's not work as well. Youll probably never know!

Forgot to mention the cord is a UL listing the tape is not.

You've lost me. I thought you explained that the manufacturer's directions for the UL listed electrical equipment (treadmill) were required to be followed by the NEC, and therefore by local electrical codes that incorporate the NEC. But the manufacturer's operating instructions for the listed electrical equipment (DVD recorder) don't have to be followed? What's the diff?

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Is the DVD blank an electrical component? Do you plug it in?
    If you don't know the difference please don't do any electric work
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Motors often are listed at peak draw...if the appliance required a 20A supply, to pass UL, they would have to supply it with a 20A plug. the average is likely much less than max, and max is unlikely to be constant.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

With motors it doesn’t have to be continuous. If the name plate says 13 amps it would be my guess that it has a ˝ horse power motor.

When this motor starts up it will draw approximately 59 amps for a second or two.

I got these 59 amps from Table 430.251(A) for the locked rotor amps. Any electric motor will require a certain amount of current to overcome the rotor starting from a locked position (standing still) and bring it up to speed. Should this motor have some type of load such as a human body standing on it these amps will drop from 59 amps even slower than if the motor was under no load.

"110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

How does a consumer get access to the "instructions included in the listing"?

What constitutes "labeling"? Just the warning stickers placed on the equipment, or everything in the operating instructions (owner's manual)?