Leaking Weil MCClane Boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevind04

Reaction score
We replaced our old 30 year old furnace with a Weil MClane P-WTGO-5 Gold oil burning furnace 14 years ago. We replaced the old furnace because it was old not because it stopped working. We just found out the new boiler is leaking. The installer said our town's water supply was known for rotting out plumbing systems. We are still waiting to hear from Weil McClane. I still can't believe we put a new system in less than 14 years ago and they are telling me I need a new furnace. The system works but it leaks. Has anyone else had a problem with these boilers leaking after such a short period of time?
Thanks

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Do you know where it's leaking from? Are you saying the cast iron boiler sections are leaking or is this from some of the boiler piping?

Either way most leaks are repairable unless the boiler is cracked, but even that is repairable, but it may be cost prohibitive.

Kevind04

Reaction score
it looked like it was leaking from the right front lower corner of the cast iron based on the corrosion. the guy that came to the house struggled getting the covers off and it doesn't leak with the furnace off so I didn't actually see the leak.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If it is leaking it will be leaking from the gaskets between the sections. It may just be a question of tightening the section bolts up a bit but if not Weil McLain will warranty it.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
yeah, what NH said.

Most boilers come factory assembled, but some are still assembled in the field, either due to the size(large) or some other reason like not being able to get it into the basement in one piece. I would think that might make it more likely to leak from the gasket inbetween one of the sections if it was assembled by your boiler tech.

The other thing that may have been overlooked is the Temp/Pressure Relief Valve leaking. If that is near one of the corners and you just see water on the floor it could have come from that and not the main boiler. A bucket under the tube will catch any water from a leaky pressure relief valve.

Kevind04

Reaction score
I'm sure it is not the relief valve. That is dry. It is definately leaking from inside the furnace. The guy that came out from the oil co. had a lot of trouble getting the covers off so I couldn't get a good look at the possible leak. The pressure guage drops from 5 when cold to 15-17 when the burner is on. I hope to hear from Weil McClane tomorrow. At this point I hope it is a gasket or fitting between the sections.
Thanks for your input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks