Solder Copper to Brass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I am installing faucet fixtures on the side of a new tub. The faucet requires a tee connection to be soldered between the hot and cold faucets. I will also need to install threaded connectors on the hot and cold feeds to the faucets. I am going to use braided flex hose with 1/2" connectors.

I was going to use all copper connectors but I just saw an episode of TOH and they were solder brass fittings to a copper line. The brass fittings look like they are made better than copper.

Can I solder Brass fittings to the copper faucet lines? Is there any benefit? Any tips on solder all the connections? I have not done this before, but I have watched several videos on soldering copper pipe.

Thanks!
Ron OKC

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
nhmaster's short answer is correct of course, but there are a couple of things I'd tag on. You need to have a pretty good handle on the techniques of sweating before firing up the torch. The interior of the fitting and exterior of the pipe must be sanded clean and shiny immediately before assembly. There must be a liberal application of flux to the joint. Sweating is accomplished by heating the entire joint to the point that solder will flow when it is applied to the hot joint surface. Since brass requires more heat than copper, you need to be sure the brass is hot enough, but not overheated to the point the flux is burned off. Do not move the soldered joint while it is still hot and don't force cool it with water. After a few seconds, you can wipe the joint with a damp rag to clean up the mess. These techniques won't suddenly transform you into a master plumber, but you should be able to turn out a workable joint albeit butt ugly.:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fittings

There are few, if any, advantages to using a brass fitting if there is copper one just like it. Some fittings are only made in brass so with them there is no option. Looks have nothing to do with reliability. A brass fitting can have a casting flaw which will not be noticed until the water is turned on, and or even months after the water is turned on if something is temporarily plugging the hole.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Successful attempt a sweating copper

Well I can't believe it! I soldered all the copper fittings (about 9 joints I believe) and I didn't have one leak!

Thanks for all the help! Here is a picture....

Attachments

• DSC_0345_small.jpg
    DSC_0345_small.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 4,915

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I am installing faucet fixtures on the side of a new tub. The faucet requires a tee connection to be soldered between the hot and cold faucets. I will also need to install threaded connectors on the hot and cold feeds to the faucets. I am going to use braided flex hose with 1/2" connectors.

I was going to use all copper connectors but I just saw an episode of TOH and they were solder brass fittings to a copper line. The brass fittings look like they are made better than copper.

Can I solder Brass fittings to the copper faucet lines? Is there any benefit? Any tips on solder all the connections? I have not done this before, but I have watched several videos on soldering copper pipe.

Thanks!
Ron OKC

Brass is an alloy made mostly from copper and zinc. Quite often lead is added too (up to 1% - yes still amazing with all the hazards of lead that code allows this). In addition, aggressive water eats zinc ... just look at the zurn lawsuit that has about 30% zinc and they are falling apart. In closing, I always will pick copper over brass ... but many times you just don't have any choice. Nice job soldering!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks