(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: continuous "relief" from t&p valve

Hybrid View

DIY Junior Member

Default continuous "relief" from t&p valve

I have a 50 NG American W/H in house when we bought it and approx 5 yrs old. After 4+ yrs of no problems, my T/P valve started continously "relieving" itself on my basement garage floor. I have replaced the Thermostat unit (warranty), flushed the unit and adjusted the temp setting and incoming water flow, all trying to prevent stacking. Would replacing the T/P valve be a prudent step or should I just get a new heater.

I only fix things that are broken.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If the T&P is letting water out,

you may have a bad or worn T&P
    Or perhaps there is an expansion problem.

If the system is "closed", then an expansion tank is needed.

A system can be closed by a check valve (some new water meters have checks built in), a back flow preventer, or by a pressure reducing valve.

DIY Junior Member

I can only assume the system is closed. I am going to try replacing the t&p valve and also will install an expansion tank. Hopefully this will solve my problem of continuous water from my relief valve. Thank You for you help.

Do you know how to correctly install an expansion tank...

Quote Originally Posted by srichey01 View Post
    I can only assume the system is closed. I am going to try replacing the t&p valve and also will install an expansion tank. Hopefully this will solve my problem of continuous water from my relief valve. Thank You for you help.

Yes you should buy a new T&P valve and change it, but skip the expansion tank for the moment. Buy a water pressure test gauge so you can measure water pressure. The cost is under $30 for both.

I had to change my T&P valve last Thansgiving!

My water heater also recently started leaking thru the T&P valve. I changed it out and still the leak. Not thinking that the extra heating zone I added in the in the basement over the summer would cause an expansion problem (I had only one expansion tank for my closed system hot water boiler) I was scratching my head. I posted the problem here, then the light went on when someone mentioned an extra expansion tank.I added a small therm x trol in the cold water supply before the heater and well its been a few days ( knock on wood) and problem seems solved- no more dripping TPR valve. Hope this helps.